General off-topic discussions.
Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Weekend - 4/26

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Dinner with Kell's family tonight, softball (if not rained out) and volleyball tourneys all weekend.

How 'bout you guys?

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Re: Weekend - 4/26

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 pm

friends bachelor party tomorrow night :D
"I will prepare and some day my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Close to saving all the funds I need for a down payment on a house so house hunting starts this weekend.

Thinking about messing around with an Olive. Maybe get it running with a couple CSRs and have some fun.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:51 pm

those csr sure are memory hogs.
"I will prepare and some day my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

javin
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA-Voice, Security +

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Trying to figure out why I can't back up my unity server. Registering a physical phone to my CUCM and rebuilding my Win XP VMs (I forgot the one I had I joined to an old domain...). Game night with some kalua portk I am making tomorrow. Most likely building a bed for my son. Some gardening. MAYBE updating the firmware images for my voip phones... I hate doing that. Dinner with the inlaws tonight. Some Mario Party (The wife likes that game!!!!). I dont know what else.
Discipline

"The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability" - Henry Ford

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Nerds.

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Softball all weekend..

javin
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Jocks.
Discipline

"The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability" - Henry Ford

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:28 am

Nerds vs. jocks, it's Revenge of the Nerds all over again!

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 am

Been at RTP in ASR9K training all week. Flying home today. Bought a gun safe awhile ago that will be delivered about the time I get home. Finally nice again back home so definitely som yard work, maybe get some more vegetables in the dirt, and water the hops. CCW class is next weekend so hopefully some range time too.

srg
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE SP, CCNP SP, CCNP, CCDA, CCNA DC/W, HP MASE

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:14 am

Spring cleaning the apartment today, 9hr rack time on sunday.
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 am

It was a three day weekend for me. Friday and Saturday were cheat days on my diet so it was beer, buffalo wings and chicken sandwiches!

Sunday I spent a the day figuring out how to cut the cord with ATT and still provide voice service to my cell phone without them. Im getting to damn tired of spending $$$ for a service I hardly ever use. So far so good. Been running my phone for abut 24 hours without a SIM.
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

mynd
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 am

that1guy15 wrote:Been running my phone for abut 24 hours without a SIM.
Curious on how you went about this?? Just using wifi spots and google talk?

--Richard
http://justnetworked.wordpress.com

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am

mynd wrote:

--Richard

Google voice for the phone #, text and Voicemail. Google voice though is restricted on a mobile device to only use the carrier network and their minutes. So without a SIM Google voice would not setup a call. I had to find a third part app that would setup the calls over WiFI.

The app Im using for voice/text on my phone is called GooVe IP. I didnt spend much time researching all the solutions on the market and just went with the first I found. Im sure there are others.

Yes, the only way my phone will connect is though wifi. So when Im driving or out and about Im offline. This so far is not a deal breaker for me as this accounts for 5% of my usage. The other 95% of the time I'm connected to someones wifi.

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NA-Security\NA-Voice

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re-did a guy's deck
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

javin
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am

that1guy15 wrote:
mynd wrote:

--Richard

Google voice for the phone #, text and Voicemail. Google voice though is restricted on a mobile device to only use the carrier network and their minutes. So without a SIM Google voice would not setup a call. I had to find a third part app that would setup the calls over WiFI.

The app Im using for voice/text on my phone is called GooVe IP. I didnt spend much time researching all the solutions on the market and just went with the first I found. Im sure there are others.

Yes, the only way my phone will connect is though wifi. So when Im driving or out and about Im offline. This so far is not a deal breaker for me as this accounts for 5% of my usage. The other 95% of the time I'm connected to someones wifi.

I too use grooveIP. Works well sometimes but others I get one way audio or glitchieness. Luckly the bad connections are usually with telemarketers. I started it because I too was sick of huge phone bills. I now rock tmobiles $30 prepaid plan with unlimited (5GB) data unlimited texts and 100 min. The data mixed with grooveip makes for a decent combo. I also get to listen to Pandora during my drive this way (dropped Sirius). If I didn't love having data accessable wherever I am , I would drop the service as well... Let us know how it goes over time.
Discipline

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 am

that1guy15 wrote:So when Im driving or out and about Im offline.

So what happens when your car breaks down, need to call 911, or family needs to get a hold of you because of an emergency?

mynd
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 am

javin wrote:I now rock tmobiles $30 prepaid plan with unlimited (5GB) data unlimited texts and 100 min. The data mixed with grooveip makes for a decent combo.
that's pretty cool for sure. reminds me of what a friend did for his home phone. tmobile $10 month plan (just for the sim chip); got a cell to pots converter that takes tmobile sims (~$100); plugged converter into wall jack.

--Richard
http://justnetworked.wordpress.com

javin
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 am

wirerat wrote:

So what happens when your car breaks down, need to call 911, or family needs to get a hold of you because of an emergency?

You can call 911 from any phone with or without a sim (in the united states).
Discipline

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm

javin wrote:
wirerat wrote:

You can call 911 from any phone with or without a sim (in the united states).

Yep, emergency calls can be made from anywhere without a SIM or contract. When people need to get me in emergencies I have a work pager, that's righ, you didnt read that wrong... I have a pager :|

Its funny this question has been brought up to me by almost everyone I have talked to about this. It is a little strange going offline when away as I am used to being connected at all times but if you think about it everyone was this was 10-15 years ago with out any issue. It also help that Im not allowed to take my cell phone into work so I already have that huge disconnect.

My wife is not as brave as I am, plus she needs her phone for work so we plan to drop her service in the next week or so and setup with a pre-paid plan. Not sure which one ATM. For me if this experiment fails then I will jump over to pre-paid as well.

If it works the two of us are looking at $100 a month savings and if i have to get prepaid then about $70 a month. Either way that is huge!

Next I just need to talk her into dropping cable TV and going 100% online. This will be a harder fight...

'
Next

Return to Forum Lobby