All home networking related discussions.
spencerthomass

Network switch causing problems with router

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 am

I have a rt-n66u router with an HP ProCurve Switch 2524 attached to it. When I connect the switch to the router my wireless performance suffers big time! Many apps on my android phones stop working, like engadget and facebook to name a few. If I unplug the switch everything goes back to working perfect. Even if I just connect the switch with no other devices connected to it, it still kills my wireless networking. I specifically bought this router because it is suppose to be a high end consumer grade router and should be more than powerful enough to handle the devices I have connected. I am just about out of ideas. I have also tried using a WNR-3500l router but got the exact same problem. Any ideas?

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Re: Network switch causing problems with router

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:57 am

Personally, I would take a packet capture to see what's happening, but I'm not sure if you feel up to that task.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

Chomp
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, CCNA Voice, JNCIA-Junos

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:03 pm

How are the two devices physically connected?

spencerthomass

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44 pm

The devices are connected together with a cat6 cable.

Retired Account
Post Whore

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:01 pm

That makes no sense whatsoever.

spencerthomass

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

I know! This is driving me nuts. All of the wired connections work just fine when the switch is connected to the router. It's just the wireless that gets messed up when the switch is connected. btw, I am running tomato on my router. It had the same problem with the factory firmware as well.

Retired Account
Post Whore

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that one... I'd imagine the traffic should go straight out of the router and be completely ignorant of the switch at that point for our wireless users... Any sort of debugging/logging the router does that you have access to?

It almost seems like some sort of dynamic firewall or routing rules occuring at the router... as said, a packet capture -might- be helpful... but not much help from the client side at least unless connections are actively being blocked, or you get ICMP messages returned.

EDIT - Or getting SYNs with no response...

spencerthomass

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 pm

I'll do a packet capture when I get home in a few hours

spencerthomass

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Quick update on the problem. I found out that it was in fact one of the computers attached to the network was causing the problem. I'm still not 100% sure what was causing the problem on the computer. I tried shutting down each service and process one by one to see what was causing it and couldn't get it to go away. Once I found my Windows Disc I re-installed Windows 7 and the problem is now gone. My wireless speeds have now almost tripled. The only thing I can think of is some form of malware that was messing with the network even though malwarebytes, spy hunter, and windows defender all came back clean. Thank you all for your input!

Retired Account
Post Whore

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 pm

A packet capture would have been really interesting. Since wireless is... what's the term... contention-based? Maybe malware was hogging bandwidth? I'm not that strong on wireless.

'

Return to Home Networking