General off-topic discussions.
jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Barefoot/Minimalist Running

Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Any of you guys into this? I picked up my first pair of Vibrams on the weekend and I'm going to give this a go.

vibram.jpg
vibram.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

stevester1
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, CCNP DC, 350-080

Re: Barefoot/Minimalist Running

Tue May 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Outdoors (track or all terrain) or treadmill?

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Tue May 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Mostly pavement, a little trail. Outdoors in the summer, but I run indoors in the winter. Hate treadmills.

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm

I have a client that swears by them. He wears them to work. Said he has to wash them often, they get smelly.

I like to run outdoors but for me its just plain running shoes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

paadams
Post Whore
Certs:
MCSA, VCP4, CCNA, CCNA Security

Thu May 24, 2012 7:57 am

I've been wanting to get a pair and will probably try to make time this weekend to hit up REI.

Digitowel
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, NP/DP/IP

Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 am

I get terrible cramps when running past 5 miles in mine. Mine get most of their wear while biking.
And actually I appreciate MS certified people quite a bit. Not in the " I wish I did what you did" kinda way, but in a "I'm glad you're doing that so I don't have to" kind way. - Infinite ca. 2010

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 am

I think they look cool as hell. I havent been able to run for about 5 years due to some back issues and am just now getting back on a treadmill. Slowly working my way back up.
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 am

ew! Get some out door Pumas.
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

Halo
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP (R&S, Security), ITILv3 Foundation

Thu May 24, 2012 8:30 am

I was curious about getting a set of fivefingers when I was running regularly but never got around to buying them. I wonder how they'd work out for weight lifting?

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Thu May 24, 2012 8:35 am

Saw someone running with those on a trail a few weeks back, another getting a coffee inside Starbucks.. I'm not a fan.

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL

Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 am

whats the life span of the vibrams? same as a normal pair of running shoes?

been looking into the vibram/new balance collab called minimus

http://www.newbalance.com/NB-Minimus/minimus,default,pg.html

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Thu May 24, 2012 8:45 am

Digitowel wrote:I get terrible cramps when running past 5 miles in mine. Mine get most of their wear while biking.

Yeh I ran about a Km two days ago and my calves are still sore. This is going to take some time to work into them...

@nicklauscombs I asked that when I bought them and they sales guy said til they fall apart. From what I've been able to find on the interwebs they don't really have a lifespan the way normal runners do since there's no foam in the sole. The main reason normal runners wear out is that the foam loses it's ability to spring back, and since these have no foam...

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 am

Infinite wrote:@nicklauscombs I asked that when I bought them and they sales guy said til they fall apart. From what I've been able to find on the interwebs they don't really have a lifespan the way normal runners do since there's no foam in the sole. The main reason normal runners wear out is that the foam loses it's ability to spring back, and since these have no foam...

makes sense, i've definitely been eyeing making the transition over

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Mon May 28, 2012 7:29 pm

put about 20 miles now on a pair of new balance minumus shoes and absolutely love them. i believe the minimal/barefoot hype now.

dieselboy
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Voice, SMB Select, Linux+

Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

scottsee wrote:Saw someone running with those on a trail a few weeks back, another getting a coffee inside Starbucks.. I'm not a fan.

I'm like "WTF"
...thinking "Where's the rest of the gimp suit?"

:mrgreen:

:squint:
Meanwhile, back in the city...

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 pm

nicklauscombs wrote:put about 20 miles now on a pair of new balance minumus shoes and absolutely love them. i believe the minimal/barefoot hype now.

I haven't been running much in ages and it's showing. These things are kicking my ass. Calves, shins and feet are all sore right now. Need to build up some new muscles. I do like them though. I did a 10Km walk in them on the weekend, and the wife and I are going hiking next weekend that I think I'm going to wear them for.

dieselboy wrote:...thinking "Where's the rest of the gimp suit?"

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30391#p211926

Wait till I start the thread on chaps. :P

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Tue May 29, 2012 6:41 am

Infinite wrote:
nicklauscombs wrote:put about 20 miles now on a pair of new balance minumus shoes and absolutely love them. i believe the minimal/barefoot hype now.

I haven't been running much in ages and it's showing. These things are kicking my ass. Calves, shins and feet are all sore right now. Need to build up some new muscles. I do like them though. I did a 10Km walk in them on the weekend, and the wife and I are going hiking next weekend that I think I'm going to wear them for.

coming from someone who puts in around 42 miles a week for the last 3 years or so...they definitely are kicking my ass when it comes to being sore in my calves.

synack
Certs:
A+, MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, CCNP in progress

Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm interested in this. What are you trying to accomplish with the Vibrams? I typically do one to two marathons a year and have looked hard at them a few times but always decided I could get the same results in less extreme (read: painful) ways.

If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or are trying to strengthen your arches/feet, I would whole heartedly recommend jumping rope barefoot for 5 minutes a day. It's made a huge difference for me.

If you're trying to improve your running posture there are plenty of zero drop shoes that aren't as extreme as the Vibrams. I like racing flats made by Brooks.
Route [X] Switch [ ] Tshoot [ ]

"Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening, work ethic. You know, while the other guy’s sleeping? I’m working. While the other guy’s eatin’? I’m working. While the other guy’s making love, I mean, I’m making love, too. But I’m working really hard at it."

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Wed May 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Humans were able to run long distances long before the invention of the running shoe, and they were able to do so with ease. I'm curious about the differences in the experience, and the differences in strength to the foot and legs. I don't think it will make me faster, or allow me to run farther, only allow me to run in a new way.

Your jumping rope idea is a good one I think. That sounds like a good way to help build some muscles needed for the Vibrams.

I also don't plan on switch over hard right away. I brought my Mizunos with me to work today for a run home after work.

If it ends up not being right for me then I will stop using the Vibrams. Like you I've looked hard at them for some time, curious about it. I finally figured I'd spend the $100 and give it a try.

synack
Certs:
A+, MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, CCNP in progress

Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 pm

I agree shoes can cause imbalances and injuries and minimalist training has its place. Corns, hammer toe, ingrown toenails are all relatively modern ailments. I hope they work out for you.
Route [X] Switch [ ] Tshoot [ ]

"Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening, work ethic. You know, while the other guy’s sleeping? I’m working. While the other guy’s eatin’? I’m working. While the other guy’s making love, I mean, I’m making love, too. But I’m working really hard at it."

'
Next

Return to Forum Lobby