All other Cisco networking related discussions.
greenock_lad2000

Does Cisco certification have a degree equivalent

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:21 am

Hello,

I am looking to complete a series of Cisco certifications over the next 3 years and wondering do the Cisco certs have a degree equivalent?

The reason I ask is I am planning to migrate to NZ and they want folk with a Degree-level (Level 7).

How far do I need to go in my studies before I can qualify for this.

I was hoping top do CCNA-->CCVA or would it be better to go CCNA --> CCNP first?

Thanks
Chris

stuh84
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT

Re: Does Cisco certification have a degree equivalent

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:51 am

I don't believe the certifications are classed as a degree equivalent officially, but some degrees do teach pretty much the CCNA and sometimes the CCNP as part of a curriculum. If it's criteria for migrating, then maybe it'd be worth explaining that, but it doesn't sound like you'd just be able to put CCNP and CCNA on a piece of paper and hope thats good enough.
Router> show single women | inc without-drama
Router>

Working From My Shed, my networking blog
http://www.workingfrommyshed.co.uk

Gumm
Certs:
CCNA, ITILv3 Foundation, MCTS - AD & NI

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:49 am

CCNA is usually the majority subject of a final BSc degree in a networking related course.

CCNP is usually about 3/4 of a Master's Degree followed by a dissertation.

That's from reading a few University prospectus's etc.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:13 am

Gumm wrote:CCNA is usually the majority subject of a final BSc degree in a networking related course.

CCNP is usually about 3/4 of a Master's Degree followed by a dissertation.

That's from reading a few University prospectus's etc.

Wow! Not here. I did a 2 year diploma program at a tech school here that covered up to the CCNP level.

I always figured the CCIE might be on order of a bachelor degree. The new top level CCA requires you to create a design, then defend it in front of a panel in much the same way you would a Master's thesis.

To the OP, if you intend to use Cisco certs as a replacement for an actual degree I don't think there's a single organization in the world that will accept that. If you find one let me know.

sgtcasey
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:54 am

Yeah, most places I've looked into require certifications in addition to a degree and experience. The only time I've seen degree requirements waived has been where they'll accept x number of years experience for each year of degree you don't have.

When I got my 2-year degree it was CCNA level stuff only. I wish they'd had a CCNP program around here.

Dave
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

stuh84
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:25 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is looking at using CCN* qualifications for a job, but to be able to migrate to New Zealand. I guess they have a points/requirements system to be able to emigrate to there, like Australia does.
Router> show single women | inc without-drama
Router>

Working From My Shed, my networking blog
http://www.workingfrommyshed.co.uk

greenock_lad2000

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:12 am

Cheers folks,

I think I will ask New Zealand migration closer to the time where the Cisco cert fit into the NZ point system.

But i think I will go with the CCVA route and then do the CCVP or CCNP.

Then in 3 years when I redo the CCNP/VP (one that I have done) will it also refresh the CCVA/NA as they on different routes?

Chris

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am

I gotta move to some of these cool countries, or find a school in the US that thinks like they do. The school I work at has some poor bastardized CCNA wanna be class for retards.... that's not-skipable no matter what certs you get or tests you take... maybe I can try to make the teacher cry
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am

I liked my CCNA class. I'm looking forward to taking another class in semester 2.

forkwieldingmonkey
Certs:
A+, CCNA, CCNA Security

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

If you took any certification prep classes through cisco academy, you might be able to argue it as online college. I think it would qualify more as getting a course certificate from your college rather than an actual degree though...
ForkWieldingMonkey

http://ciscocertstudyblog.blogspot.com/

hunter_thom
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, LPIC-1, ITIL

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:59 pm

My community college offers an Associates Degree in Computer Networking. You are required to take CCNA or MCSE, A+, Server+ (with a linux emphasis), cabling (Panduit), and a basic computer electronics class.

However, I've not heard of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Networking. They may exist, I've just not come across them.
http://projectportfolio.info/jhazen/

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:36 pm

hunter_thom wrote:My community college offers an Associates Degree in Computer Networking. You are required to take CCNA or MCSE, A+, Server+ (with a linux emphasis), cabling (Panduit), and a basic computer electronics class.

However, I've not heard of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Networking. They may exist, I've just not come across them.

There's tech schools around here the offer an "Applied" Bachelor's degree. My old school offered an Applied Bachelor's in Information Communication Technology. My program fed into the "Network Management" major of that degree.

Having said that, an Applied Bachelor is not the same thing as a real Bachelor.
Last edited by jdsilva on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunter_thom
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, LPIC-1, ITIL

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Makes sense. Yeah, at the school here they also offer "certificates" for completing the CCNA classes, or CCNP classes, or MCSE, etc. But they aren't certifications.

In the end, I don't think there is a replacement for either. IMO, getting both certs and a degree is vital, but I do not know how employers feel about it.
http://projectportfolio.info/jhazen/

sgtcasey
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 pm

New Mexico State University offers a distance-learning bachelors degree in Information and Communications Technology. I'm enrolled and taking classes through it, but I am taking off this summer.

This program started off with what basically amounted to the CCNA networking academy classes. I breezed through those since I'd had them already. I need to get off my butt and get into classes locally to help fulfill the general requirements. Things like history (fun... no really!), a speech class (yuck), one more math class, and so on.

I'm happy I found the program at NMSU since it's an in-state school. I've been to the campus a couple times and if needed I could easily meet the instructors face-to-face versus only communicating with them online.

I earned my associates degree in Networking Technology in 2006 and went through what sounds a lot like you described above... could go the Cisco route or MSCE route.

Dave
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

Rhodan

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:26 pm

greenock_lad2000 wrote:The reason I ask is I am planning to migrate to NZ and they want folk with a Degree-level (Level 7).

I moved to NZ almost 3 years ago. They do not recognize ANY IT certifications for the points system. Only degree's or trade (plumber, electrician etc.) certificates count for points.

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Code: Select all
ITIL Certification Management Board (ICMB) would not count towards points, neither would your CCNA nor Linux certifications.

NZQA would look at 'scholastic' degrees as opposed to certifications.

Your certifications however, will ring pluses with the employers and an employer's offer will count serious points to your EOI.

Don't know if this helps but found it in another forum
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

greenock_lad2000

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks guys for all you help.

Looks like loads of self educated study may not count toward points.

I started a university route 5 years ago and to be honest it was a waist of time and a load of my money so I went for the get a job at the bottom level and educate my self and get some work experience.

Chris

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:42 pm

greenock_lad2000 wrote:I started a university route 5 years ago and to be honest it was a waist of time...

Oh, the irony...

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:45 pm

i thaught university was a waist of time two.

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:45 pm

greenock_lad2000 wrote:Thanks guys for all you help.

Looks like loads of self educated study may not count toward points.

I started a university route 5 years ago and to be honest it was a waist of time and a load of my money so I went for the get a job at the bottom level and educate my self and get some work experience.

Chris

I agree to your opinions on universities being a waste of time. I've nearly completed my 4-year university degree but it gave me absolutely nothing on networking. The only lectures relevant was the basics of the basics of networking. It's a shame that those certifications aren't recognized.

The only situation my degree will ever help me would be immigration process I assume. :|

'
Next

Return to Cisco General