CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
CiscoKid

VLANS and TCO

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi Folks. There's a practice question floating around out there about advantages of using VLANS and one possible answer is that VLANS reduce the total number of switches required in a network. The common wisdom seems to be no, that's not a correct choice.

I would think yes. If I were to set up a separate physical lan for three departments that need the security of being segregated, I would need three switches at each access point. By using VLANS, I can just divvy up a single switch.

I haven't been able to find any reference to this on cisco's web site, so I'll assume the cisco answer is no. Still, I can't help but have a nagging feeling that I should select that answer if confronted with that question.

What do you guys think? Anybody taken any official cisco courses or have official cisco curriculum where this is mentioned?

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Re: VLANS and TCO

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:48 pm

CiscoKid wrote:I would think yes. If I were to set up a separate physical lan for three departments that need the security of being segregated, I would need three switches at each access point. By using VLANS, I can just divvy up a single switch.

I concur.

HCLs

Correct but

Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 pm

It's an interesting question.
You are correct, but cisco believes or wants you to have each user connected to a switch port :) so because VLANs don't decrease the number of the users :D , there is no reason for decreasing number of switch-ports and so number of switches. If look at the question from this point of view.
I did my CCNA last year, after i finnished the official course and i can tell you, that there are some of "these questions" in this exam.
So you can just shoot in the dark :twisted: or try to think in the "cisco-way" :twisted:
Did you update today? -> www.windowsupdate.com

CiscoKid

Re: Correct but

Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:43 pm

HCLs wrote:So you can just shoot in the dark :twisted: or try to think in the "cisco-way" :twisted:

You're right, one can really over-think these types of questions. That's why I'm hoping to find some mention of it from the horses mouth. You make a good point about switchports, but if I can replace three 3512's with a 3548, then I've reduced my switches by two thirds, and increased my available switchports at the same time. :)

Thanks for the feedback. If I ever find a definitive answer I'll post it here first! :D

HCLs

exactly

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:09 pm

yes, but they both support VLAN :)
Of course you can take even one from the 4500 series, and you won't have problems for a long time (240 ports), but everything is just question of money 8)
Did you update today? -> www.windowsupdate.com

'

Return to Cisco Certifications