General technical discussions.
Yedi
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, TCSP, EMC, F5

Is it possible to have RAID in virtual machine?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 am

Hi All, I am here want to ask about RAID configuration on virtual machine.

Is it possible to have RAID configuration on your virtual hard disk of your virtual machine?

As an example case is I have 1 PowerEdge R910 which I have installed it with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition and i used it's Hyper-V as the hypervisor. the HDD's of the PowerEdge are not RAIDed. I want to make 4 virtual machine's which are installed with Windows Server 2008 R2 as a virtual OS on Hyper-V and i want only 1 of them that has it's virtual HDD is RAIDed. Technically, is it possible? Thnx a lot. :thankyou:

Best regards,

Yedi
Best regards,

Yedi

Otanx
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CEH

Re: Is it possible to have RAID in virtual machine?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 am

I think Windows will let you do a software raid setup, so you should be able to do it. However, I see no reason to do it. I would strongly suggest you RAID at hardware, and get the benifits for all of your systems. Running a RAID on one VM isn't going to help you if your hypervisor crashes.

-Otanx
Stay networked, my friends.

killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Otanx wrote:Running a RAID on one VM isn't going to help you if your hypervisor crashes.

Or if the physical HDD of the host system crashes.

Yedi
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, TCSP, EMC, F5

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm

thnx Otanx and killabee. :)

What if I change the case with all the physical HDD's are RIADed (for example with RAID 10), is it still possible to RAID one of my virtual machine's vHDD (vHDD A, for example with RAID 1), and the rest of my virtual machine's vHDDs (vHDD B-D) with different type of RAID (for example with RAID 5) ?
I am sorry for keep asking like this because I don't have adequate knowledge and experiences in dealing with virtual machines.

thnx a lot :)
Best regards,

Yedi

Otanx
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CEH

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:03 am

If you RAID the physical hard drives then you don't need a RAID at the VM level. The VM hard drive is only a file on the hypervisor. So if you have a hardware RAID setup it will protect the file just as if it was any other file on the system. So setting up a raid on a VM is just making two files, and then having the VM use CPU resources to split the data between those two files.

-Otanx
Stay networked, my friends.

'

Return to General Tech