CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
Mr_Smith

Studying tips

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

I finally got my Official Cert Library in the mail this morning. I saw that we had a test taking tips/advice thread but didnt really see a topic covering tips for studying.

What are some of the things you do that help you study (i.e sticky notes, highlighting, flashcards etc.)? What are some of the things you take notes on? Just want to make sure im well prepared and have the best chance of passing my ccna exam when it comes time to take it.

For reference here is the books I received http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=9781587204388

I will most likely read the first book and take the 640-822 ICND1 test and then read part 2 of the library and then take the 2nd test, depending on how well I pick up on the material that is.

Dan-
Certs:
CCNA

Re: Studying tips

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:49 pm

I use a pencil. Take my notes in the book itself

Grab GNS3/Dynamips, or Packet Tracer. Play around with them and lab like crazy.

stamour547
Certs:
A+, Network+, CCENT, CCNA

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Well what I do is read the book. Reread the book. Reread the stuff I have trouble understanding. Then I open up my favorite ssh client (PuTTY on windows, terminal on mac or linux). Ssh into any of my equipment that I need to lab on. When I feel comfortable with the material then I load up the testing engine that comes with the package and test, test, test. Usually by that time I have got things down and the test (at least both ICND 1 & 2) was cake.

-J

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9249
sticky thread in Cisco Certifications section

Me, i read a chapter while taking notes of each section. How detailed I get depends on how well I already know the topic. Then I lab the subject several times to get hands on with the technology. I then move to the next chapter and repeat. Once im finished with the book I use the test to determine what topics I need to go back over. I then run through each technology again in the lab multiple times in different complex topologies. I continue to take the tests up until test day going back over weak areas either with notes or rereading the whole chapter.

I then take the test and get drunk that night!
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 am

I make flash cards on things I think are important to know. I usually end up labbing after I read, that is changing. I am going to try labbing what I read as I am reading it. I think that will be more efficient for me.

+1 for Dynamips or GNS3. I also prefer the real thing. Pick your poison.

Sam Kennedy
Certs:
None :'(

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:37 pm

I generally read through a chapter, then re-read it for anything which I might forget and note it down, then I condense my notes down into flash cards and practice practice practice.
I currently have 50 flash cards in my deck, I'm at the point where I can answer most of them without having to actually think about the answer. Now I'm working through the 2nd half of my book and will be adding more flash cards shortly :)

sudoraptor

Studying tips

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:42 pm

I read through the chapter first. I reread it again but highlight key things. Then I type those highlighted portions in a Q&A fashion in Evernote (which is installed on my iPhone, iPad, and computer).

Review notes often. Any tables, practice tables and memorization tables I type the question and answer in Mental Case for review whenever I have the chance.

Lab.

You can take it further and start sharing what you learn and teach someone.

'

Return to Cisco Certifications