CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
ud3webdev

CCNA certifaction

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:22 pm

okay i want to get my CCNA certification, and i have some questions on how i should do that.
i have several router and firewalls and plenty of servers. i think i know a decent amount but i know theres tons that i dont know.

there is 2 classes ICND1 & 2 there are a total of $5000

what i had been planning now is trying to self learn more for a little while then take the 2 classes. but the $5000 looks more and more daunting everyday.

So what would be the best steps to go about this with out taking the classes? or should i take those classes?

revbob
Certs:
CCNA, CXFF, CCNA-Wireless

Re: CCNA certifaction

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 pm

What kind of classes are they? I took Cisco Net Academy classes through the local community college so those were full semester classes and included lab time. I wouldn't pay $5000 for boot camps for CCNA.

Firewall experience is great but you won't need it for the CCNA. Same goes fro the servers. For the CCNA you need routers, Layer 2 switches and some basic WAPs

Get a copy of Packet Tracer it is a network siumulator that allows you to configure routers and switches from the command line.

Todd Lammale's CCNA book is a good resources as are the Cisco books.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:42 am

5K is pretty steep for something you can pass on your own for a few hundred
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- "Emergency Belkin. $40........................Boom."
- "I see" said the blind man pissing into the wind, "it's all coming back to me".
- Sausage time

paadams
Post Whore
Certs:
MCSA, VCP4, CCNA, CCNA Security

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:07 am

ristau5741 wrote:5K is pretty steep for something you can pass on your own for a few hundred

This. Spend a fraction of that and get some hardware to practice on plus a book or two and then put in the time learning and labbing.

'

Return to Cisco Certifications