Aironet, Access Points, Client Adapters and software, Mobile and Outdoor Wireless, Antennas.
killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Multiple APs, same SSID or different?

Sun May 13, 2012 12:29 pm

I need to deploy several APs in somewhat close proximity. Each AP will be in a separate room, servicing the users in that room, and each AP will run on a non-overlapping channel. Someone recommended that I configure each AP with a unique SSID as a way to force users in Room 1 to associate to AP 1, users in Room 2 to associate in AP 2, and so on. But I'm unsure if that will add any benefit, especially considering that other factors such as AP signal strength will make sure that the users associate to the AP with the strongest signal (which will be the AP in their room). If anything, I suspect configuring each AP with a unique SSID will add complexity to the setup (what if a user from Room 1 goes into Room 3? Now he/she won't be able to access the network).

I'm inclined to have one single SSID for simplicity. Any thoughts?

Thanks

srg
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE SP, CCNP SP, CCNP, CCDA, CCNA DC/W, HP MASE

Re: Multiple APs, same SSID or different?

Sun May 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Use a single SSID, if the clients are somewhat sane they will use the closest AP. Then they can change room as they like without hassle.
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.

Seba
Certs:
3*CCIE/4*CCxP

Sun May 20, 2012 3:23 pm

If the channels are NOT overlapping use a single SSID; client will pick the strongest signal (depends on client's algorithm of selecting the AP), meaning in most cases the closest AP. WIth single SSID it will be easier to add some roaming, e.g. in case if one of the APs is experiencing some issues (hardware), clients still can connect to the AP next door; weaker signal is better than no connection at all ;)

killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Sun May 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks

Just curious, since the APs are in somewhat close proximity, why shouldn't I configure all but AP 1 as a repeater? I know the signal will degrade after each hop...is that the only deterrent factor?

'

Return to Cisco Wireless