Aironet, Access Points, Client Adapters and software, Mobile and Outdoor Wireless, Antennas.
Heath

WiSM to WiSM2 Upgrade

Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

We'll be upgrading our old WiSM to a WiSM2 and I'm wondering if there is a guide out there somewhere that goes through the upgrade process. I've read through the WiSM2 Deployment Guide, but it doesn't address upgrading from an older WiSM. So I still have questions... like can the WiSM config be applied to the WiSM2, or do I have to configure it from scratch? I've searched and also talked to my Cisco SE about it and even he can't find anything that addresses anything other than a fresh deploy. Does anybody have any knowledge of such a guide, or any suggestions or helpful tips?

dgrizzard
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, ISE Field Engineer

Re: WiSM to WiSM2 Upgrade

Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 pm

You should be able to take the configuration and apply it to the wism2. One thing that I would do is get them on the same code rev first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Heath

Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 am

Has anyone here gone through such an upgrade? I've gone through the process of getting the 6509 up to date with the latest IOS and added additional memory. Can the WiSM2 be installed along with the WiSM1 while the WiSM2 is configured an APs migrated over? Or does it have to be a pull and replace from WiSM1 to WiSM2?

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Fri May 11, 2012 10:34 am

Heath wrote: I've gone through the process of getting the 6509 up to date with the latest IOS and added additional memory.

did you remember to upgrade the line card firmware also ???
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

dgrizzard
Certs:

Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Heath wrote:Has anyone here gone through such an upgrade? I've gone through the process of getting the 6509 up to date with the latest IOS and added additional memory. Can the WiSM2 be installed along with the WiSM1 while the WiSM2 is configured an APs migrated over? Or does it have to be a pull and replace from WiSM1 to WiSM2?

You can have multiple service line cards in a single chassis. And like ritsau said make sure you do the FUS upgrade before the code rev.

Heath

Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 am

I updated the ROMMON to 8.5(4). Is that what you're talking about?

Or do you mean additional firmware for each line card? I searched the download area on Cisco's web site and couldn't find anything for my line cards.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am

line card firmware, last time i did this, I had to open a TAC case to find the correct download,
just surfing around somewhere in here below

Downloads Home
Products
Cisco Interfaces and Modules
Cisco Route Processors and Route Switch Processors

--found it, now I know why I book mark everything, just cant find the bookmarks when I need them.

for the following cards
•WS-X6748-GE-TX
•WS-X6724-SFP
•WS-X6748-SFP
•WS-X6704-10GE
•WS-X6708-10G-3C and WS-X6708-10G-3CXL
•WS-X6716-10G-3C and WS-X6716-10G-3CXL

go to:

Downloads Home
Products
Cisco Interfaces and Modules
Cisco Route Processors and Route Switch Processors
Cisco 7600 Series Route Switch Processor 720 with 10 Gigabit Ethernet Uplinks
IOS ROMMON Software-12.2(18r)S1

(Dont worry about the 7600 series, it'll change to 7600/6500 series)
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

dgrizzard
Certs:

Wed May 16, 2012 10:17 am

If it is a FUS for the WiSM/2 it will be with the code rev, the file will have FUS in the file name though.

DanC
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA-W, CCNP

WiSM to WiSM2 Upgrade

Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 pm

What's 'FUS'?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heath

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Just an update in case somebody going through the same process stumbles on this thread...

The WiSM to WiSM2 upgrade went very smoothly. I was able to backup the WiSM config, install the WiSM2 and restore that config to it. Cisco even has an updated deployment guide with steps for upgrading from WiSM to WiSM2 where they recommend this process.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ ... 2500.shtml

After performing the upgrade and restoring the WiSM config to the WiSM2, I ran a config audit in Cisco NCS. It complained about the hardware change and recommended removing the controller from NCS and adding it back. I did that, ran another audit, refreshed NCS config from the controller, and everything was good. It was actually a pretty simple process.

As mentioned before I upgraded the ROMMON, Flash memory (with the compact flash adapter), and IOS on the 6509. With dual sups, the only downtime I had was the minute or so failover time from one sup to the other when they were on different IOS versions. I did not update the firmware on any line cards and that never came up in any discussions with Cisco TAC.

'

Return to Cisco Wireless