CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
ZeroOne

Questions about CCNA

Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I am planning to get the CCNA certification after 2 months from now, what do I need to study?

1-I have a general idea about how OSI model works, do I need to grab a book like "Computer networks., 5th Edition
Tanenbaum, Andrew S." and get into all the details about how the OSI model specifically works?? or a just a general view would be enough?

2-After learning OSI model, I heard you have to study the TCP/IP module, now I know that there are some CCNA books like: "CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802) (Exam Certification Guide) by Wendell Odom (28 Sep 2007)", my question is does the CCNA books cover the concept of TCP/IP or do I have to study them before studying the CCNA books? and if the answer is "YES" what book do you recommend? is TCP/IP Illustrated a good one? or Internetworking with TCP/IP for example? and again do I have to read cover-2-cover?

Thanks very much :wink:
ZeroOne

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Re: Questions about CCNA

Wed May 02, 2012 7:42 pm

you will need to get the official exam cert guide at least.
it is not an easy test for the novice and 2 months might not be enough time. most people hit the wall at subnetting and VLSM.

CBT nuggets are a good source for video training however that is not enough.

you will also need a lab of some sort. GNS3, packet tracer or cisco routers.

luckily there are a lot of resources out there just please PLEASE dont use a brain dump.

ZeroOne

Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm

hi thanks for replyin :)

so you are saying I dont need to go through OSI model + TCP/IP books? and go only for the CCNA official cer exam book?

I have got nothing to do for 2 months, I can read all day..

ph01n11x
Certs:
CCNA

Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I would suggest focusing on labs. That's the most important part both for the exam and for real life.

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 pm

no, the OSI model is very important. for sure read those books however for taking the exam, you should at least look through the exam guide. it covers everything you will be tested on.

you will be tested on a lot more than the OSI model and TCP/IP suite.

stuff like:

subnetting
IP addressing
MAC addresses
Routing
routing protocol
spanning tree
NAT
DHCP
ACLs
switching basics
configuring routers and switches

the list goes on...

ph01n11x
Certs:
CCNA

Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 am

the OSI model is very important
it is important

ph01n11x
Certs:
CCNA

Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 am

ZeroOne wrote:I have got nothing to do for 2 months, I can read all day

For most people it would be quite challenging to get CCNA in 2 months, but it depends on your experience, of course.
It will keep you busy.
Last edited by ph01n11x on Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davidr
Certs:
CCNP

Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 am

its not a memory test. you will need some type of practical experience which you can get from doing labs.
I believe you cant pass it with just picking the correct answers from the mc questions. the lab count towards a big part of the passing mark.

ZeroOne

Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 am

thanks all :), for the guys who are saying that 2 months is not enough, what is? 3/4 months?

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu May 03, 2012 8:09 am

kerpap wrote:no, the OSI model is very important. for sure read those books however for taking the exam, you should at least look through the exam guide. it covers everything you will be tested on.

you will be tested on a lot more than the OSI model and TCP/IP suite.

stuff like:

subnetting
IP addressing
MAC addresses
Routing
routing protocol
spanning tree
NAT
DHCP
ACLs
switching basics
configuring routers and switches

the list goes on...

get the cert guide for the current exam 840-802
Here is a list of Exam Topics in case you don't have a CCO account

Code: Select all
Exam Topics

The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Cisco Certified Network Associate exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

Describe how a network works
    Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    Select the components required to meet a network specification
    Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    Describe common networked applications including web applications
    Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    Describe the impact of applications such as Voice Over IP on a network
    Interpret network diagrams
    Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features

Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    Explain the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks
    Explain network segmentation and basic traffic management concepts
    Explain basic switching concepts and the operation of Cisco switches
    Perform and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH, arp,   ipconfig), and SHOW & DEBUG commands
    Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, auto negotiation, and switch hardware failures
    Describe enhanced switching technologies (including: VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q)
    Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network.
    Implement basic switch security (including: port security, trunk access, management vlan other than vlan1, etc.)
Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    Describe the operation and benefits of using private and public IP addressing
    Explain the operation and benefits of using DHCP and DNS
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router (using both the CLI and SDM)
    Implement static and dynamic addressing services for hosts in a LAN environment
    Calculate and apply an addressing scheme including VLSM IP addressing to a network
    Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment
    Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc).
    Describe IPv6 addresses
    Identify and correct common problems associated with IP addressing and host configurations
Configure, verify, and troubleshoot basic router operation and routing on Cisco devices
    Describe basic routing concepts (including: packet forwarding, router lookup process)
    Describe the operation of Cisco routers (including: router bootup process, POST, router components)
    Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect routers to other network devices and hosts
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RIPv2
    Access and utilize the router to set basic parameters.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Connect, configure, and verify operation status of a device interface
    Verify device configuration and network connectivity using ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH or other utilities
    Perform and verify routing configuration tasks for a static or default route given specific routing requirements
    Manage IOS configuration files. (including: save, edit, upgrade, restore)
    Manage Cisco IOS
    Compare and contrast methods of routing and routing protocols
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot OSPF
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot EIGRP
    Verify network connectivity (including: using ping, traceroute, and telnet or SSH)
    Troubleshoot routing issues
    Verify router hardware and software operation using SHOW & DEBUG commands.
    Implement basic router security
Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN
    Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE, WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
    Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (Including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
    Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
    Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
    Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks. (Including: Interface, misconfiguration)
Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats
    Describe today's increasing network security threats and explain the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
    Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
    Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
    Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices
Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    Describe the purpose and types of ACLs
    Configure and apply ACLs based on network filtering requirements using SDM and CLI
    Configure and apply an ACL to limit telnet and SSH access to the router using SDM and CLI
    Verify and monitor ACLs in a network environment
    Troubleshoot ACL issues
    Explain the basic operation of NAT
    Configure NAT for given network requirements using SDM and CLI
    Troubleshoot NAT issues
Implement and verify WAN links
    Describe different methods for connecting to a WAN
    Configure and verify a basic WAN serial connection
    Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    Troubleshoot WAN implementation issues
    Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
    Configure and verify a PPP connection between Cisco routers

Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 am

I did it in a years time, actually I think it was more a year and a half.
it is not an easy test for a novice.

no I dont think 3/4 months is enough.

maybe for an ultra nerd but not for most. I have helped many obtain a CCNA and it is pretty much a years study to really get it.

I took a year for CCDA and 3 years for CCNA-SECURITY. (probably only needs a year)
some may disagree however if you are interested in truly understanding the material then take a year.
Cisco exams are not low level. they are in no means easy.

'

Return to Cisco Certifications