All home networking related discussions.
the_enquirer

How to Allow Guest Access for Internet use only

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:50 am

Hi all, I have very basic knowledge of setting up WiFi router at home. I'm a member of a club and we have just got BT Business Broadband with BT Business Hub 3. The club has one WiFi laptop which will occasionally access the BT Hub 3 using WiFi for internet use only. So essentially we have no network as such, just the BT Hub and a laptop.

I would like to allow some club members to have internet access (WPA2 password), but without allowing access to the club laptop in any way.

As I said previously, the club laptop will only be active occasionally, so actual exposure is limited, but ideally I would like for the club laptop to be invisible to others when it is connected. I would also like each members equipment to be hidden from each other, so nobody can access each others data etc..

Can I achieve this simply? If so, do I need extra equipment?

I do have some donated equipment available: Netgear WAG102 Wireless Access Point, D-Link DSL-2640R Broadband Wireless G ADSL2+ Router and US Robotics 9106 SureConnect ADSL Wireless Gateway. Could I use any or all of these?

I know this donated equipment is only Wireless G, but speed for the members is not important as they will only use internet access for emails and occasional google searches etc..

I've tested the WAG102 at home, by plugging it into a LAN port of my BT HomeHub3 and giving it a different SSID, which works OK, but I can still see the other equipment connected wirelessly to my BT HomeHub3, although I cannot access my home laptop etc. because they are password protected.

I would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks.

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Re: How to Allow Guest Access for Internet use only

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:09 am

You are going to want to talk with an IT consultant on this one. This is something you can achieve but its going to take someone who has done something similar. Its going to take some magic from the switch where all of these access points are connected to .
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

TheRussianSpy

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:43 pm

idea 1 - simply disable file and resource sharing on the laptop. others will still see it but will not be able to get to it unless they are determined hackerz
idea 2 - set up two access points/routers with different SSIDs, keys, and >>different DHCP ranges<<
idea 3 - set up static IP address on the laptop that is outside of the DHCP range set on router/access point
idea 4 - i don't really know what BT hub is and if you can manage it, but some routers allow setting up "guest networks", or have wireless network separate from wired. Look if you find settings like that, and connect the laptop via cable.

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:56 pm

TheRussianSpy wrote:idea 1 - simply disable file and resource sharing on the laptop. others will still see it but will not be able to get to it unless they are determined hackerz
idea 2 - set up two access points/routers with different SSIDs, keys, and >>different DHCP ranges<<
idea 3 - set up static IP address on the laptop that is outside of the DHCP range set on router/access point
idea 4 - i don't really know what BT hub is and if you can manage it, but some routers allow setting up "guest networks", or have wireless network separate from wired. Look if you find settings like that, and connect the laptop via cable.

you are still going to have to isolate hosts at layer 2.
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

'

Return to Home Networking