All home networking related discussions.
nyetwork

home network setup

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 pm

I just installed a Netgear N600 router between an Actiontec GT701-WG dsl modem and two Windows 7 Home Premium computers …. a ZT 7545Mi desktop and a Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop. I’ll call the router “RT”, the desktop “DT” and the laptop “LT”
The problem is in trying to create an ethernet home network. For now I’ll just ask if anyone can tell me what to look for if the LT can ping the RT, DT, and Internet, and the DT can ping the RT and Internet but not the LT? The troubleshooting routines from Windows and Netgear have not helped. I’m sure this is not enough information, but being a network newbie I’m not sure what to supply.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: home network setup

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:20 pm

firewall turned off on the laptop?
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- "Emergency Belkin. $40........................Boom."
- "I see" said the blind man pissing into the wind, "it's all coming back to me".
- Sausage time

nyetwork

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Firewall is off on the laptop.

Alan87i

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 pm

nyetwork wrote:I just installed a Netgear N600 router between an Actiontec GT701-WG dsl modem and two Windows 7 Home Premium computers …. a ZT 7545Mi desktop and a Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop. I’ll call the router “RT”, the desktop “DT” and the laptop “LT”
The problem is in trying to create an ethernet home network. For now I’ll just ask if anyone can tell me what to look for if the LT can ping the RT, DT, and Internet, and the DT can ping the RT and Internet but not the LT? The troubleshooting routines from Windows and Netgear have not helped. I’m sure this is not enough information, but being a network newbie I’m not sure what to supply.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Just to clarify your network is as follows?
dsl modem= two computers and the new router all plugged in with a wire?
and a laptop on the new router wired or wireless?

Is the new modem plugged in WAN port too old modem ?

nyetwork

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 pm

The router is wired to the DSL modem and the two computers. The laptop is optioned for ethernet, but is wireless capable. The modem connects each computer to the Internet separately or both at the same time and does not seem to be a problem. The laptop can see the desktop, but the desktop does not see the laptop.

Alan87i

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 pm

nyetwork wrote:The router is wired to the DSL modem and the two computers. The laptop is optioned for ethernet, but is wireless capable. The modem connects each computer to the Internet separately or both at the same time and does not seem to be a problem. The laptop can see the desktop, but the desktop does not see the laptop.

If you plug the router "WITH the WAN port" too the modem/router you have now ,,, anything that connects too the new router will be un-reachable from the rest of the network that is connected too the old modem/ router.
That's the way it is.
If both Old modem and new router are sitting on the same spot ... set the modem in bridge mode and run all the PC's off the new router. Problem solved
If new modem is wired on the other end of the dwelling we have some work too do.

nyetwork

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:23 pm

I do not understand your reply. Perhaps I did not clearly explain my layout.

All together on one table are two computers connected by ethernet cables to a router, and the router is connected by ethernet cable to a DSL modem, and the modem is connected to the telephone line by telephone wire.

Both computers can access the Internet through the router and modem. The laptop can ping the desktop, but the desktop cannot ping the laptop. This seems to be preventing Windows 7 from setting up a home group network.

Alan87i

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:59 am

nyetwork wrote:I do not understand your reply. Perhaps I did not clearly explain my layout.

All together on one table are two computers connected by ethernet cables to a router, and the router is connected by ethernet cable to a DSL modem, and the modem is connected to the telephone line by telephone wire.

Both computers can access the Internet through the router and modem. The laptop can ping the desktop, but the desktop cannot ping the laptop. This seems to be preventing Windows 7 from setting up a home group network.

Ok then Ya I thought you had 1 pc on either side of the router.
In that case I would suspect the PC that does not reply too a ping has a firewall blocking it.

GaHeckler

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:56 am

password enabled?

nyetwork

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Alan87i wrote:
nyetwork wrote: I would suspect the PC that does not reply too a ping has a firewall blocking it.

Firewalls are turned off.

nyetwork

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 pm

GaHeckler wrote:password enabled?

Not sure what you are asking. There are passwords all over the place. And you are talking to a moderately informed computer person, but one who knows zilch about networks.

GaHeckler

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:35 pm

nyetwork wrote:
GaHeckler wrote:password enabled?

Not sure what you are asking. There are passwords all over the place. And you are talking to a moderately informed computer person, but one who knows zilch about networks.

Which computer is your "main" computer? To join a homegroup you have to enter a password.

nyetwork

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Both are joined to a homegroup and have the same password, and the laptop joined the desktop. Hope that is what you asked. Even so, when I ask to "See full map", I get "Windows cannot discover any computer or device."

'

Return to Home Networking