IPv6 design, deployment, standards, and best practices.
sandsandy
Certs:
CCNA

Network designing

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:42 am

Dear Networking Expert Members,

I had an interview, yesterday, and they had asked me some practical questions : that if we need
to create a Network of 50 Hosts, then what will be the Hardware requirements for creating a Network from scratch? He asked me the following questions in the format .
1) How many servers needed ? And how many hosts to one server ?
2) How many routers, switches,hubs, bridge, patches/batches , and racks , mentioning even the smallest of the device needed to create a network?
3) Also mention which Router, Swicth , hubs , bridge model numbers will you use and explain why ?
4) If you may need any other devices to create this network then mention that as well.
5) Show them in the form of Diagram labelling the devices.

Since i did not have much of the practical knowlege so i could not answer these questions confidently. Please try to answer above question in detail when ever you may get time.
It will be Big help for me, if you could teach me how to create a Network form scracth as the
person in the Interview had asked me.

On the basis of the above question , i have another similar question which they ask in Interview. Please try to answer that as well.

8 ) In an Example of a " Network Design " - having 100 Hosts
a) How many Hubs, Bridges, switches and routers will be used ? Mention their model numbers , and the criteria of their selection as well ?
b) Show their connections in the Diagram , also labelling which ports are connected where .
c) Show both version of workgroup and Client Server Model . Mention how they are linked to the respective switches or Hubs.
d) What Difference will it make if we will use only layer - 3 switches instead of Routers ?
e) If switch is FASTER THAN the router, then why not Layer 3 switches used instead of the Router ?
f) What difference will it make, if in next Network design the requirement is for 1000 Hosts to be in a LAN.
g) What will happen if at First while " Network Designing " we have implemented the network connection ACCORDING TO THE 100 HOSTS requirement in a LAN. But, what if after couple of years i have a sudden requirement to upgrade to 1000 Hosts in my LAN. In this scenarios, what changes would need to be done ?

Dear Expert members, I know it would take some time of yours to type the answers. But if you could give me the answers, it would really be a huge help for me to understand the practical concepts in Network desining.

I would really appreciate your help and cooperation.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Re: Network designing

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 am

Homework?

Sent from mobile internet
- Pete

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:29 am

And why are you double posting?

Dan-
Certs:
CCNA

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:39 pm

I think the optimal answer for all of your questions would be...
"it depends..."

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:23 am

Dan- wrote:I think the optimal answer for all of your questions would be...
"it depends..."

+1, need to have a clearly defined set of services that the customer will be deploying
VOIP ? Wireless ? security ? email ? collaboration software? video ? etc...
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

IPNetworkingGuy
Certs:
B.CS, CCDP, CCNA Sec, CCNA, Network+, Security+

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

Ahh, generic network design. So easy isn't it?

I especially enjoyed this one: "If switch is FASTER THAN the router, then why not Layer 3 switches used instead of the Router "

writeerase
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE CCNP-S CCDA MCSE RHCT Sec+ A+

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Sometimes this place just seems like people come here to have professionals do their homework for them for free...

rolon
Certs:
CCENT

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:19 pm

writeerase wrote:Image

Sometimes this place just seems like people come here to have professionals do their homework for them for free...

:lol:

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:37 pm

I hate the term L3 switch. It does my head in.
- Pete

sandsandy
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 am

well, a lot of it requires practical hands on, and training.
And unfortunately, till now whom so ever i contacted, do not seem to provide practical knowledge.
I am not looking for theortical know-how as in books, but what i am looking for is some practical knowledge.
I would appreciate if some of u could come up with some constructive suggestions.
If there is some online resource to learn about it, then as well plz guide.

Regards

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:46 am

Honestly not having a dig here. But the original post asks some vague questions.

You can't ask how many X are needed because you haven't defined requirements Y. Of the 50 hosts what will they be doing? Are the 50 hosts end users or a cluster of akamai servers. I assume it's the first one but you get the idea. Also hubs and bridges stand out like dogs balls. People using those in a new network should be shot on site.

I rarely ask questions on forums but when I do I try to use this as a guide. http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
- Pete

honeyclarck

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:02 am

Not tell you because it likes your Homework. So do it with your hands.

timhalo
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Project2501 wrote:I hate the term L3 switch. It does my head in.

Reminds me of this dudes post on Nanog "switch" is a marketing term meaning fast, nothing more. Any device that operates at Layer 3 is a router by definition. Therefore, "Layer 3 switch" means "fast router". Now think about your question again.

lol'd a little given your link to 'how to ask a question'.

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 pm

You lost me.
- Pete

writeerase
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE CCNP-S CCDA MCSE RHCT Sec+ A+

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 am

"switch" is a marketing term meaning fast, nothing more. Any device that operates at Layer 3 is a router by definition. Therefore, "Layer 3 switch" means "fast router". Now think about your question again.
That is a crummy, imprecise explanation. The differences between routers and layer 3 switches is substantial both in the architecture and features available on them. They are only similar to the untrained eye.

timhalo
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 am

The dude that said that worked for Cisco [at the time]. So maybe they & other vendors have evolved the product lines since that comment. Take a look at the GSR & even the 75xx, could say those are compound switches in a single chassis w/ a routing manager (grp/prp). Still, performing layer3 operations on a pdu by any device & calling that device a layer3 switch. Waste of words.

greenorange

Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:26 am

I not too long ago came across your write-up and have been reading along. I wish to express my admiration of your writing ability and capability to create readers read from the starting for the finish. I'd like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

'

Return to IPv6