Site announcements from the admin and moderators.
Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wendell Odom Q&A

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Guys, I have been talking with Wendell Odom about doing a Q&A/interview about him and his new book. Post up any (serious) questions you have for him, the mods and I will pick some and send them over to Wendell. When he replies, I'll post them up in the blog.

If we use your question, you get a lovely networking-forum.com sticker.

Digitowel
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, NP/DP/IP

Re: Wendell Odom Q&A

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:37 am

Wendell, first off, thanks so very much for sitting down and taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions!

How do you feel about Cisco fragmenting their certification paths and seemingly making a certification discipline out of anything they can? Do you feel they're playing a sort of "catch up" to quickly ratify the newest industry buzzwords in a certification?

Thank you!
And actually I appreciate MS certified people quite a bit. Not in the " I wish I did what you did" kinda way, but in a "I'm glad you're doing that so I don't have to" kind way. - Infinite ca. 2010

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Well, there's 1.

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:43 pm

The only one I can think of now is:

Wendell, have you heard any new word on Cisco releasing a educational liscense of IOS for students/teachers?
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

zerojunkie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 pm

that1guy15 wrote:The only one I can think of now is:

Wendell, have you heard any new word on Cisco releasing a educational liscense of IOS for students/teachers?

Yes, this.

killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Wendell,
While writing a new book, do you copy and paste sections from your other books where the topic is the same?

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks guys. I need at least 1 or 2 more.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:50 am

Wendell

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood ?
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

Dinger
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA:Sec, MCSE

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 am

How come 'CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide' has *eight pages* worth of errata?
"A problem well stated is a problem half solved". (Charles Kettering)

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 am

ristau5741 wrote:Wendell

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood ?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 am

To add to my question above or along the same topic.

"What are your thoughts on Junosphere? Have you had a chance to demo it? Do you know of anything similar provided by Cisco and have you had a chance to get some hands?"

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 am

What do you think the next big change in routing/switching will be?

One of Cisco's biggest strengths has always been that it's very innovative. Is Cisco being short sited in their firing of a large portion of their staff so their books show up with a larger profit margin? Will that effect their innovativeness and what is the likely hood that it could hurt them in the up-coming years.

My understanding is that Juniper and other companies are starting to get some more of the market share, how is this going to effect us, and what are Cisco's plans to smite them.

Networks are by most standards very difficult to configure and maintain, and very very in-tolerant of mistakes (1 mistake and your network and everything connected can die). Do you for-see this ever changing? for example typing "P2P vpn 2.2.2.5" and having that negotiate a P2P VPN with 2.2.2.5. Or name based ACLs that do the majority of the work in the back ground, for example permit COPS to CAMERAS.

How is "the cloud" going to effect IT staffing? For example thin-clients, you'll need more high level people to manage the massive servers... but it will lower the number of entry level positions such as the computer tech who use to image/fix the PC will now just swap out the hardware, and what will be the long term effects of this?

Currently the average community collage might offer an Associate's networking degree with the CCNA at the end. With more and more services moving to the cloud and remote locations do you for-see collages and universities starting to offer more and better rounded networking degrees?

dhimes.com

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 am

Another if we need more.

"What technology are you currently researching/digging into at the moment. Also what is your favorate technology to write about/work with and why?"

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!!

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 am

what do you feel is the most under-rated technology?

dhimes.com

eaadams
Post Whore

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:16 am

Code: Select all
Is Cisco being short sited in their firing of a large portion of their staff so their books show up with a larger profit margin?
:?: "books"? Do you mean "equipment" or "systems"? Cisco Press publications are produced by Pearson Press under a licensed partnership arrangement wtih Cisco, I'm not of the link between the number of Cisco employees and Cisco Press margin ... or have I been sucked in?

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

Digitowel
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, NP/DP/IP

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:27 am

I believe he's speaking about their finances; "books". Cisco's overhead has taken control of their profit margin and is a very large reason they continue to show very stagnant growth. They're too damn big for their own good.
And actually I appreciate MS certified people quite a bit. Not in the " I wish I did what you did" kinda way, but in a "I'm glad you're doing that so I don't have to" kind way. - Infinite ca. 2010

eaadams
Post Whore

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 am

Aah, gotcha, 'financial books' :doh: And I marked that up as Code instead of a Quote - double :doh:

Anyway, in that case I think that Wendell will have as much idea as we have about that!

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 am

The questions have been sent to Mr Odom.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 pm

I sent Wendell questions from killabee, Risatu5741, Dinger, and dlots so you guys qualify for the site sticker!

:woohoo:

PM me your shipping info like this...

username:
first name:
last name:
street number:
street name:
city:
state/province:
zip code:
phone:

And I'll get those shipped out ASAP.

kayoumt

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 am

Hi steve,

I'm reading Wendell's ICND1 and ICND2 second edition book (for CCNA preparation). I see sometimes some points that are very far from being "intuitive" to understand. I wanted to post those points. Even, if Wendell could not answer to them ; may be some people in the forum will be interested to discuss about them.

What do you think about my proposition ?

'
Next

Return to Announcements