scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

February Study Update.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am

I'm wondering if these should go in a blog, but on the other hand who other then you guys care :)

I'm pretty much done with the Networking Academy CCNA Routing course besides building the skill labs and doing the final test. I went through it so fast I decided to take a step back and read the corresponding chapters out of the Cisco Press ICND2 Book and visit Jeremy's and Bryant's videos to pick up what I could.

I've been doing a lot of labs lately, mostly focusing on real world troubleshooting scenarios and trying to learn the right debug options and how to read the output. I'm starting to really appreciate Cisco's white papers!

I've just finished reading about ACL's and started compiling my notes into a pdf so I can start doing some Labs. I started doing some standard access lists last night, but It was to late and my brain was fried.

I'm still planning on sitting the ICND2 at the end of Febuary as long as I can get through Frame-Relay and NAT and still feel like I retained enough. It will be close.. I really wish I could encounter more issues or have more trouble with a particular subject so I could include you guys more! So far things have been going pretty smooth.

You guys are awsome!
Later.

Halo
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP (R&S, Security), ITILv3 Foundation

Re: February Study Update.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am

ACLS ACLS ACLS ACLS ACLS ACLS ACLS ACLS
I've written the word 'ACLS' over and over again because you're going to use them over and over again. As far as the CCNA material goes, an ACL is placed on an interface for packet filtering and that's about it. As you get deeper into networking, they come up again and and again for a myriad of uses. Get comfortable with creating, editing, and resequencing them. You'll see them in future when you're dealing with things like policy-based routing, policy-based NAT, pretty much everything that uses class maps, and even in conjunction with debug commands.
ACLs are a way of identifying interesting traffic; they will make your job easier, keep that head of yours covered in thick, lustrous hair, and even walk the dog.

Keep up the good work!

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Is it worth practicing Standard control lists as much as Extended? Aside from the exam and knowing how to place the lists and the syntax, they are pretty yes or no.. I can't see using them as much in the real world when you have extended.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Standard ACL's have their uses in various places. The VTY lines is one good example. There's no need to specify a destination there since it's always going to be the VTY line.

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Definitely learn standard

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:54 pm

scottsee wrote:Is it worth practicing Standard control lists as much as Extended? Aside from the exam and knowing how to place the lists and the syntax, they are pretty yes or no.. I can't see using them as much in the real world when you have extended.

yeah as stated above, you will use them to identify traffic for services such as BGP, QoS, policy-based routing, VPN tunnels and all sorts of fun stuff. Usually when you need to identify traffic types with ACLs you just need to identify the source subnet or host so a standard ACL works perfectly.

One recommendation is to learn both ACLs and named ACLs but get in the habit of using named ACLs. they are the way to go. I started my CCNA before named ACLs were taught and got used the them. then had to spend the extra time on my CCNP to get comfortable with named ACLs.
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

eaadams
Post Whore

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 am

Hey Scott, get Routing out of the way as soon as possible. Accessing the WAN includes ACLs and NAT and some practice cert exams so you want to hit them in the next couple of weeks.

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:55 am

hardest concept to grasp with ACL's is the direction to implement, in or out.

anthony
Certs:
CCNA, ROUTE, SMB Engineer

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 am

ristau5741 wrote:hardest concept to grasp with ACL's is the direction to implement, in or out.

Use Jeremy's analogy. Picture your body as the router. Place your arms out and to each side. Traffic comes up one arm and "in" to the router and traffic passes through "out" your other arm.

Works a charm.
Weblog -http://blog.ciscoinferno.net/
Twitter -@pandom_

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 am

anthony wrote:
ristau5741 wrote:hardest concept to grasp with ACL's is the direction to implement, in or out.

Use Jeremy's analogy. Picture your body as the router. Place your arms out and to each side. Traffic comes up one arm and "in" to the router and traffic passes through "out" your other arm.

Works a charm.

hardest concept to grasp with ACL's in the location to implement, close to or far from source. :lol: :lol:

reaper
Certs:
CCIE #37149 , CCNP, CCDA

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 am

anthony wrote:

Works a charm.

A couple of weeks ago I needed to troubleshoot an issue and I was following the flow of traffic in on interfaces and out on others but something didn't feel right. Then I realized that at one point in the network there was an interface that was both the incoming and outgoing interface. Things like that can mess with your head :)
http://lostintransit.se

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 am

scottsee wrote:I'm wondering if these should go in a blog, but on the other hand who other then you guys care :)Later.

People that haven't done their CCNA and could use a confidence boost. I think it's a worthwhile idea.

It's good to hear you're studying strong. Keep up the good work :)
- Pete

haccduder
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 am

scottsee wrote:I'm wondering if these should go in a blog, but on the other hand who other then you guys care :)

I'm pretty much done with the Networking Academy CCNA Routing course besides building the skill labs and doing the final test. I went through it so fast I decided to take a step back and read the corresponding chapters out of the Cisco Press ICND2 Book and visit Jeremy's and Bryant's videos to pick up what I could.

I've been doing a lot of labs lately, mostly focusing on real world troubleshooting scenarios and trying to learn the right debug options and how to read the output. I'm starting to really appreciate Cisco's white papers!

I've just finished reading about ACL's and started compiling my notes into a pdf so I can start doing some Labs. I started doing some standard access lists last night, but It was to late and my brain was fried.

I'm still planning on sitting the ICND2 at the end of Febuary as long as I can get through Frame-Relay and NAT and still feel like I retained enough. It will be close.. I really wish I could encounter more issues or have more trouble with a particular subject so I could include you guys more! So far things have been going pretty smooth.

You guys are awsome!
Later.

*Hint Hint*
know your basic frame relay commands
*nudge nudge*

I probably can't say more

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 pm

reaper wrote:
anthony wrote:

Works a charm.

A couple of weeks ago I needed to troubleshoot an issue and I was following the flow of traffic in on interfaces and out on others but something didn't feel right. Then I realized that at one point in the network there was an interface that was both the incoming and outgoing interface. Things like that can mess with your head :)

be one with the router, luke
tell your office mate to give you a piece of paper that is interface in
now give that piece of paper back to your office mate, that is interface out
the piece of paper is a packet.

student01
Certs:
CCNA, ITIL v3 F

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 am

how you getting on scottsee ? any news on booking the icnd2 yet ?
have you done anything similar to the topics in section 4 before ? im quite looking forward to ACL's, im not sure why!

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 am

ACLs did my head in for a bit. Until I started thinking of them as lists to match a range of addresses instead lists for firewalls only.

You should do a blog for NF :) I think you're story is an awesome one Scott.
- Pete

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:25 am

Times been a bit of a constraint lately, sorry guys.. :?

'

Return to scottsee's CCNA Journey