Certs:
CCNA

Port-security and Native VLANs

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 pm

cjutting
Post Whore

Re: Port-security and Native VLANs

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:47 pm

I swear I heard somewhere before that the more stuff you don't put on vlan 1 (or the native vlan) the better?

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes, not only for security but for hardware resources. All broadcast and multicast traffic on the management vlan get processed by the cpu just like hosts process broadcast and multicast traffic on a network.. And if you have a heavy traffic load on the network you can really slow down the switch..

joshuamorgan
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNP, CCDA

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:12 am

scottsee wrote:Yes, not only for security but for hardware resources. All broadcast and multicast traffic on the management vlan get processed by the cpu just like hosts process broadcast and multicast traffic on a network.. And if you have a heavy traffic load on the network you can really slow down the switch..

hey scottsee,

do you have a link on the above? would like to read more about the processing tax on the switch CPU.

thanks in advance,

josh

joshuamorgan
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNP, CCDA

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:23 am

Actually, think I found one. It basically said that the switch will process all broadcast traffic on the management VLAN. If the broadcasts are too overwhelming, STP BPDUs can be lost (not sent), which will cause an unnecessary topology change.

'

Return to Blog Comments