IPv6 design, deployment, standards, and best practices.
ManE
Certs:
CCNA

Getting IPv6 addresses. How will/does it work?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi

I am wondering how IPv6 address will be given out. For example say if I have a small business and need around 100 IPv6 addresses. How would I go about getting the addresses?

I am under the impression that that I would be given a /48 IPv6 address block. Now I know there are plenty of addresses to go around but that still seems like a waste of addresses.

If anyhow can shed any light on this it would be great.

srg
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE SP, CCNP SP, CCNP, CCDA, CCNA DC/W, HP MASE

Re: Getting IPv6 addresses. How will/does it work?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Depending on your ISPs policy you'll most likely get a /48 or /56. Since every VLAN should use a /64 this is two good boundaries to standardize on.

sent from phone
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.

killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious about something...

A /64 will allow you to easily incorporate eui-64 into your addressing, but what if I don't want the last /64 bits to be the MAC addresses of my devices? What if I want to manually assign them IPs or further subnet the /64 into smaller subnets, are there any issues with that?

srg
Post Whore
Certs:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm

killabee wrote:Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious about something...

A /64 will allow you to easily incorporate eui-64 into your addressing, but what if I don't want the last /64 bits to be the MAC addresses of my devices? What if I want to manually assign them IPs or further subnet the /64 into smaller subnets, are there any issues with that?

Other then maybe broken v6-stacks that expects /64 as the longest prefix, not really. The /64 per VLAN is otoh mainly to be able to use things like SLAAC, which doesnt work on other prefix lengths. Also its a pretty "easy" boundry to use.

ManE
Certs:
CCNA

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 pm

srg wrote:Depending on your ISPs policy you'll most likely get a /48 or /56. Since every VLAN should use a /64 this is two good boundaries to standardize on.

Thanks for the reply.

So am I right in saying that /48 will give me 2^16 possible subnets and 2^64 possible addresses per subnet?

Since I will only be using about 100 IPv6 address does all the wasted addresses not matter?

srg
Post Whore
Certs:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 pm

ManE wrote:So am I right in saying that /48 will give me 2^16 possible subnets and 2^64 possible addresses per subnet?
Yes.

ManE wrote:Since I will only be using about 100 IPv6 address does all the wasted addresses not matter?
No, not really.

But as I said, this depends on what kind of connectivity and ISP you have. If you have a few internal VLANs this is most likely what you'll get. I've seen ISPs doing managed routers or whatnot that routes one /64 to one customer that only has one VLAN.

If you're worried that you're wasting IPs because you dont have a couple million hosts, stop right now ;)

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Windows 7 will randomize IPv6 addresses by default. Linux has a package for this. You could use DHCPv6 if you really wanted.

Also, in the Netherlands, the provider XS4ALL is currently handing out a /48 per home user, I've heard.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

srg
Post Whore
Certs:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Reggle wrote:

Windows 7 will randomize IPv6 addresses by default. Linux has a package for this.
This doesnt really take away the /64 subnet discussion, if I'm not mistaken Privacy Extensions also presumes /64 subnet since its used with SLAAC. And it also means that you will actually have the EUI-64 derived SLAAC address as well :)

ManE
Certs:
CCNA

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am

srg wrote:But as I said, this depends on what kind of connectivity and ISP you have. If you have a few internal VLANs this is most likely what you'll get. I've seen ISPs doing managed routers or whatnot that routes one /64 to one customer that only has one VLAN.

If you're worried that you're wasting IPs because you dont have a couple million hosts, stop right now ;)

Cool. Thanks for the info.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 am

srg wrote:
ManE wrote:Since I will only be using about 100 IPv6 address does all the wasted addresses not matter?
No, not really.

ManE, there are 340 undecillion, 282 decillion, 366 nonillion, 920 octillion, 938 septillion, 463 sextillion, 463 quintillion, 374 quadrillion, 607 trillion, 431 billion, 768 million, 211 thousand and 456 IP addresses available in IPv6. it's quite difficult to grasp that quantity. wasting a few billion here or there won't matter much. projected exhaustion date is 5,395,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 AD, given that the moon is expected to escape earths orbit in about a billion years, it really doesnt matter, we'll all be dead by then.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

mynd
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 pm

ristau5741 wrote:...given that the moon is expected to escape earths orbit in about a billion years, it really doesnt matter, we'll all be dead by then.

+1

Sent using Tapatalk
http://justnetworked.wordpress.com

'

Return to IPv6