HighFreak1c
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security

Re: Took a little break to develope a resume.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 am

Axis wrote:in an as efficient manner as possible.

I don't like this combination of words.

What was wrong with 'the most efficient means possible' or something other than 'in an as'?
Study, study, study...
Believe yourself~
Do more than say!
At proper time, try some dumps!
Then succeed belongs to you!!

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Yeh, you know I've never liked how I put that either. Even last night when I dug that out I looked at that and made a scrunchy face at it.

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't think anyone dosen't do that when they look at their own Resume. The important thing as you said earlier is your gainfully employed and they are paying for your CCIE studies.. FTW!

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:23 pm

scottsee wrote:Right.. I'm on board with that. But my main focal question is how do you make a resume stand out without actual work experience for a networking job?. It feel's like I'm trying to build a sandcastle with all sand an no water. I know the content, but don't have anything to back it up, and the last thing I'm going to do is lie on the Resume and fabricate experience.

At the resume's I've looked at everyone lists their valued achievements at the very top. CCIE, CCNP, 10 years routing/switching experience, masters degree, etc. The type of eye-catching skills an employer is after that will get you put in the maybe list. I know skills and experience all comes with time, but what's killing me is trying to put together a dynamic resume that makes me stand out along side others who have work experience so I can get hired and begin. I've tried writing an Objective statement, but it's cheesy. I've created experience category bullets and listed 3 of my strongest qualities in each. But there is nothing I can do about where I've previously worked unless I want to go after something that has direct negotiations. But, whatever.. I'm going to go read the rest of my ICND1 book now. That's more important.

I hear yah. Anyone getting into this feild has the same issues. Unless they are super lucky or have a dad who runs an ISP :)

highlight your knowledge in your knowledge section at the top. I place this at the top on the first 2/3 of the first page. Then list your job background. Your knowledge will be highlighted first and that is what they will see then they dig through your job history. But at least they will first know what your skills are. If your cool with it ill IM you an older resume to show you what i mean.
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Axis wrote:I have the exact opposite problem...last time I sat down to update my resume I ended up with like 6 pages :shock: since most of mine is just experience

cut the fluff

I have at least 4 resumes

1. 1 page intro
2. functional resume
3. chronological resume
4. Interview resume

focus on skull sets that get you where you want to go, if you don't was a help desk job, loose the help desk experience. this will help you in the long run.
I use the 1 page into as a teaser, wet their mouth, when they want to see more, I give them either functional or chronological, once I've secured the interview I wow them with the full resume with all the work experience I've gained.

Zingonet
Certs:
CCNP CCNA CCDA Network+

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am

Infinite wrote:I have this as my objective statement, first thing on my resume after my name:

I am a hard working, dedicated individual who enjoys working with networking technologies. I have made it my mission in life to ensure to the best of my ability that all your bits (Ones and Zeros alike) reach their destination in an as efficient manner as possible.

Laugh if you like. I'm gainfully employed by an employer who's currently paying for me to get a CCIE.

:D

LOL that is awesome! That's the kind of stuff that stands out and gets people's attention! I dig it :)
Age si quid agis. Age quod agis. - If you do something, do it well. Do well in whatever you do.

http://www.zingo-net.com/
http://twitter.com/zingonet

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Scott did you get my email?
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

matgar
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, CCNA Security

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:43 pm

scottsee wrote:I am a hardworking, dedicated individual who is striving to achieve a carrier in the Networking field. I have a deep passion for Network Security and Operations and wish to continue this profession indefinitely.

I like it, its short and to the point!

But then I'm very sure that there is a big cultural difference between the US and Sweden when it comes to interviews and employments in general.

Edit: Here in Sweden its fairly normal to add a personal letter to a resume when your applying for a job.
The personal letter will off course differ from application to application. But a common theme for me is a long time interest in IT in general. My constant drive for personal education and drive to learn new technologies. And that the job I'm looking for should be challenging and ideally have some variation.

All this happens to be true. And from personal experience that's what employers are looking for in an employee within IT since its an ever evolving field. And for someone starting out in a new field, a keenness to learn ought to me a major point.

launchpad
Certs:
MCSA/MCSE/MCITP/CCNA/IIUWNE

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:03 am

The line "I am a hardworking, dedicated individual" is what an employer expects from a new hire. I have been told many times not to put something like that on a resume'. The one that kills faster than any other line is "team player". It’s a great way to get it thrown out....

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 am

burnyd wrote:Scott did you get my email?

I did, but I've been swamped.

'
Previous

Return to scottsee's CCNA Journey