scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Took a little break to develope a resume.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 pm

I've been taking a couple day break since completing the first Network Acadamy course, and both ICND traning videos to start the process of developing a Resume that fits within the scope of employment I'm after. It's tough creating a resume when you don't have any real work experience. In fact I don't think I've ever designed or created a resume, so this is a new experience for me. As a Salesman your resume is yourself, which to me is the best resume, but not enough for this business.

I spent a little time today creating a dynamic list of different objectives and skill sets I feel I could contribute to future employers and categorized them into 3 areas. General, Networking, and Security. For the past couple years I've been deeply interested in Network Security so I want to represent my desire to somewhat be involved with general employee based policy training and education.

My wife and I have conflicting ideas oh the my opening objective statement. She's a teacher, and former customer service worker so she feel's I need to put in more feel good, hire me, move up the latter, hard worker content. But I seem to think that because I have no actual work experience I need to objectively portray my desires and goal's in a more content based manner. Which leads me to asking you guys, what do you think? When applying for jobs with no practical work experience how do you accurately depict your skills and separate yourself from the rest as the right candidate?

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Re: Took a little break to develope a resume.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:27 am

what is your email? I can send you my resume since I was in a similar situation when I received my CCNA no networking work experience :(
"I will prepare and some day my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

Vito_Corleone
Certs:
CCNP RS, CCNP DC, CCDP, CCIP

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 am

vitocorleoner at gmail

send me yours, i'll tell you how bad it sucks and reply with mine
http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:27 pm

sent. scottjsee at gmail

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:13 pm

In December of 2008 my last employer closed and i was unemployed for over 8 months looking for work. I spent tons of time going over my resume and fine-tuning it. I think the single best reference I found online that made a huge difference was the below link. There is a total of 10 post and #4 goes over each section of a resume and how to address them.

No it is not geared towards IT or tech resumes but it helped me correct a ton of mistakes in my resume.

http://www.squawkfox.com/2008/12/18/ana ... er-resume/

hope it helps
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Vito_Corleone wrote:vitocorleoner at gmail

jeez, you must be a networking rockstar.
"I will prepare and some day my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

Vito_Corleone
Certs:
CCNP RS, CCNP DC, CCDP, CCIP

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:47 pm

burnyd wrote:
Vito_Corleone wrote:vitocorleoner at gmail

jeez, you must be a networking rockstar.

duh
http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Great link, I'll look at it more when I'm sober!

sysctl
Certs:
CCNA

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:59 pm

The format, style, font, etc of your resume is sometimes almost as important as the content. Whatever you do, don't use one of the MS Office resume templates. If you'd like, I kept some sample resumes of how they should be done from college, I could send them on to you.
A flute with no holes is not a flute. And, a doughnut with no hole is a Danish.

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Yeah, that would be great. Mine sucks..

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 pm

scottsee wrote:Great link, I'll look at it more when I'm sober!

heheh!! just for shit write it drunk and then review in a week or better yet post so we can all get a in on the fun!!

In between my CCNP tests i did multiple labs pretty wasted and never got them fully working. then the next day or a couple days later i would take another look at them and see some of the weirdest shit in the configs. It was actually quite amusing!!

Back to the resume though...

I have about 4 different resumes and cover letters built up, each focused on different areas of my experience. My experience sections are also broken down into categories based on areas of technology (ex Windows, Linux, Security, Networking etc...) so that i can add/remove and order them based on each job i apply for. I always keep my resume shorter than 2 pages with my main focus on my experience and just brief overviews with accomplishments in the job history.

Remember those looking through the resumes for a job post usually only spend a minute or less per resume for initial interviews. So you need to make your resume stand out and give them the most information as quickly as possible. Just my two cents.

hope this helps
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 am

Right.. I'm on board with that. But my main focal question is how do you make a resume stand out without actual work experience for a networking job?. It feel's like I'm trying to build a sandcastle with all sand an no water. I know the content, but don't have anything to back it up, and the last thing I'm going to do is lie on the Resume and fabricate experience.

At the resume's I've looked at everyone lists their valued achievements at the very top. CCIE, CCNP, 10 years routing/switching experience, masters degree, etc. The type of eye-catching skills an employer is after that will get you put in the maybe list. I know skills and experience all comes with time, but what's killing me is trying to put together a dynamic resume that makes me stand out along side others who have work experience so I can get hired and begin. I've tried writing an Objective statement, but it's cheesy. I've created experience category bullets and listed 3 of my strongest qualities in each. But there is nothing I can do about where I've previously worked unless I want to go after something that has direct negotiations. But, whatever.. I'm going to go read the rest of my ICND1 book now. That's more important.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 am

I have this as my objective statement, first thing on my resume after my name:

I am a hard working, dedicated individual who enjoys working with networking technologies. I have made it my mission in life to ensure to the best of my ability that all your bits (Ones and Zeros alike) reach their destination in an as efficient manner as possible.

Laugh if you like. I'm gainfully employed by an employer who's currently paying for me to get a CCIE.

:D

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:24 am

Mine's more like an Objective Paragraph, I'm going to shorten it and make it more direct and to the point. The more I read it, the more I hate it..

To secure a position as a key player in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment by helping research, design, implement, and maintain technologies for the physical and logical network infrastructure. Focusing directly on increasing network uptime, scalability, and usability while providing the highest level of professional support and continually applying new ideas and strategies to increases client satisfaction. To personally develop new skills and concepts on day to day basis while furthering my future goals in obtaining various industry leading certifications

Edit:

Better? Worse? or, just stop because you're embarrassing yourself...

I am a hardworking, dedicated individual who is striving to achieve a carrier in the Networking field. I have a deep passion for Network Security and Operations and wish to continue this profession indefinitely.

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:50 am

I'd make it a little bit shorter. I'm bored in the middle :)

raven
CCIE #20728

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:28 am

Amongst a good resume, connections are what is going to help a lot too, if not even more.

Given I did not have many job changes yet, but for my current job I did not even have to write an application. I just had to call my former boss and got the interview cause I knew the right people. Did not have any cert so far, "only" a diploma in IT and 5 years of experience. The interview then is where you really have to proof yourself :)

Get yourself a linkedin profile, join groups, participate within the groups, get connections and so on. Integrate your blogposts here into linkedin so your connections see what you're doing. That should help too.

Building your own professional network can help you :)

regards

Michel
http://ccie20728.wordpress.com/

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

so no practical work experience in the field ? have you ever touched a router ? switch ? then you have network experience. ever connected a server to the network ? more network experience. ever touched a PC ? then you have hardware experience, configuration experience, software...

need to get imaginative, find any excuse for experience and expound on that.

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

Yeah, I see your point.

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am

I have the exact opposite problem...last time I sat down to update my resume I ended up with like 6 pages :shock: since most of mine is just experience
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:34 am

I am a hard working, dedicated individual who enjoys working with networking technologies. I have made it my mission in life to ensure to the best of my ability that all your bits (Ones and Zeros alike) reach their destination in an as efficient manner as possible.

haha I like it
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

'
Next

Return to scottsee's CCNA Journey