Aironet, Access Points, Client Adapters and software, Mobile and Outdoor Wireless, Antennas.
Kenso

Wireless Set Up

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:03 am

Hi Guys,

Please free feel to advise and any suggestion and advise is greatly appreciated.

1. What is the effect wireless range of a Cisco E4200 and E1200?
2. It is better to put a range extender(RE) or another router?
3. What is the effect range of RE?
http://home.cisco.com/en-apac/products/rangeexpanders/RE1000

Many thanks

stamour547
Certs:
A+, Network+, CCENT, CCNA

Re: Wireless Set Up

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 am

Kenso, The E4200 and E1200 (routers I assume, as I'm not familiar with them) range/reliability will vary depending on a number of variables such as building composition, objects in the wireless coverage area, other wireless (nonwifi) devices, etc. A range extender or router? I would say no and no. First, another router is not what you want because it will not be used as a router so most of the router is being wasted. As for the range extender, it is nothing more than a wireless repeater, which when you use that in place of an actual access point, cuts the coverage area in half and cuts throughput in half. Also the range extenders ethernet port is only 10/100 which if it is an 802.11N extender, you will not be getting full use of the device. If it was me in your position (with the little I know of the situation), I would drop a networking line where there is no wireless (your choice for designing your network), purchase a Cisco access point (something like an 1142 or 1252 series) configure it and deploy it where you put the network drop. In my experience, the enterprise Cisco equipment is worth the price compared to the Cisco small business (AKA Linksys) equipment. All I deploy is Cisco equipment for people, and that is all that I deplloy in my home as well. It saves a lot of headaches in the long run.

'

Return to Cisco Wireless