User comments to blog posts.
DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:
MCSE, MCP+I, SEC+ (working on CCENT/CCNA)

OSI model blog posts- done, interest in?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 am

Folks-

Hopefully this is not duplicative, but here goes:

Have there been, or is there interest in, a series of blog posts which will break down the OSI model and make it more understandable?

I come from the MS world, and honestly they never really gave a very good explanation of the model. I've known about it for 12 years now, but am only now getting to the point where it really "gels"...

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Re: OSI model blog posts- done, interest in?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 am

That sounds good, PM me and we'll get you set up as a blog contributor.

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Yikes... I've gone and opened my mouth up, now... :)

Looks like I better learn this, huh?

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

dont know how much its used but this would be something good for the wiki as well.

Damn that reminds me I need to finish up the BGP section as promised :|
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:04 pm

The OSI model is VERY important, That1. If you're working in this field and a capable engineer, you MUST know the OSI.

It's also an invaluable troubleshooting tool. If you can prove that data is flowing at each level of the OSI, it helps focus your efforts.

Also, it's a compartmentalized standard which makes new technologies easy to integrate. How complex would us Engineering-types' lives be if we had to learn how each specific app codified its data frames, for example?

(EDIT: hope this didn't seem at all incendiary, didn't mean it to!)

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Hehe. I think us CCxP type folks forget that the OSI is a big big part of the CCNA and CCNET exams. These days I'm more concerned with setting up MSDP and MBGP for inter-AS mutlicasting as opposed to what protocols are in the session layer... But I think this is a good topic to blog about.

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 pm

I have no clue what you just said, Infinite :)

... and I work with the military, I'm pretty good at acronymn-speak.

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

So I'm guessing Steve is a proponent of the old axiom: "The best way to learn a topic is to teach it", just like my old IT-mentor...

... we shall see!

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 pm

OS what? :P

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeh... I'm not sure I know what I just said either... ;)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipm ... apter.html

MSDP is actually pretty handy. You can do some cool things with it, like anycast RP.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 pm

DieselJeeper wrote:Yikes... I've gone and opened my mouth up, now... :)

Looks like I better learn this, huh?

wasn't you the one looking for ways to keep the lights on, in that thread there over yonder in the forum lobby ???
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- "Emergency Belkin. $40........................Boom."
- "I see" said the blind man pissing into the wind, "it's all coming back to me".
- Sausage time

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Yes Ristau- and I don't mind helping with content, I just am not sure I have a tremendous grasp on the OSI just yet....

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCDA, CCNP

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:02 pm

DieselJeeper wrote:Looks like I better learn this, huh?

In my experience, blogging about a subject forces you to do deeper research and often learn some interesting details you weren't aware of before.

On top of that: Infinite said that us CCNP folks aren't really actively thinking about OSI layer anymore. I think that's because it's become as natural as breathing to us. OSI model is the basis for it all, so a good topic.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

eaadams
Post Whore

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Reggle wrote:On top of that: Infinite said that us CCNP folks aren't really actively thinking about OSI layer anymore. I think that's because it's become as natural as breathing to us. OSI model is the basis for it all, so a good topic.
Totally agree - it becomes a foundation, which like all good foundations, we tend to not notice, but without which life is very difficult
However, I’ve some views on this, which of course you are totally at liberty to ignore –
Please ensure that the *model* part of OSI Model is stressed. It is just a (very useful) framework, with the TCP/IP stack an actual implementation. The OSI Model is not something to be *learnt*, it is something to be understood; so no mnemonics to aid in *memorising* the order of the layers please. This is what I encountered last century when I was first introduced to it and in my view it’s a useless way to develop an understanding of what it is all about.
Much latter I was extremely fortunate to be able to remedy this when I was invited to co-author some of the Cisco Networking Academy curriculum in 2007. We wrote the CCNA Exploration: Network Fundamentals course with each chapter based on the OSI model from Application Layer to the Physical. As we saw it, we had some data, say a web page HTML file on a server that had to end up as signals on a wire, fibre or RF transmission so it could be sent to a distant host that, after receiving the signals, would then interpret the HTML and display the web page. Each layer, implemented on each device, has a role in that process.

Go for it.

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:01 am

Aubrey- I am completely on board with that idea, and had a similar experience. I "rote memorized" the order of the layers and some of the content therein for the MS world. Didn't really help me at all till it clicked that it's a framework, very much akin to a well-organized mechanic's shop... a place for everything, and everything in its place...

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am

DieselJeeper wrote:Yes Ristau- and I don't mind helping with content, I just am not sure I have a tremendous grasp on the OSI just yet....

then start with The TCP/IP model it's only 4 layers.

Naa, maybe that's not good advice...
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- "Emergency Belkin. $40........................Boom."
- "I see" said the blind man pissing into the wind, "it's all coming back to me".
- Sausage time

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 am

eaadams wrote:
Reggle wrote:On top of that: Infinite said that us CCNP folks aren't really actively thinking about OSI layer anymore. I think that's because it's become as natural as breathing to us. OSI model is the basis for it all, so a good topic.
Totally agree - it becomes a foundation, which like all good foundations, we tend to not notice, but without which life is very difficult
However, I’ve some views on this, which of course you are totally at liberty to ignore –
Please ensure that the *model* part of OSI Model is stressed. It is just a (very useful) framework, with the TCP/IP stack an actual implementation. The OSI Model is not something to be *learnt*, it is something to be understood; so no mnemonics to aid in *memorising* the order of the layers please. This is what I encountered last century when I was first introduced to it and in my view it’s a useless way to develop an understanding of what it is all about.
Much latter I was extremely fortunate to be able to remedy this when I was invited to co-author some of the Cisco Networking Academy curriculum in 2007. We wrote the CCNA Exploration: Network Fundamentals course with each chapter based on the OSI model from Application Layer to the Physical. As we saw it, we had some data, say a web page HTML file on a server that had to end up as signals on a wire, fibre or RF transmission so it could be sent to a distant host that, after receiving the signals, would then interpret the HTML and display the web page. Each layer, implemented on each device, has a role in that process.

Go for it.

Aubrey

but but but....then they'll miss on out classics such as Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away or All People Seem To Need Data Processing....those are the clean ones anyway....but yes, I completely agree
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:26 am

I think there will have to be at least one mnemonic device, simply to get the layers in proper order. I have them memorized from top to bottom with All People Seem To Need Data Processing- and know that I need to work backwards when I'm troubleshooting a problem (I ALWAYS start at the physical layer).

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 am

There better be a mnemonic! I'm going to be thoroughly unimpressed if people start throwing away perfectly good sausage pizza.

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 am

Dangit, now I want pizza...

'
Next

Return to Blog Comments