All Juniper related discussions.
sirsamon
Post Whore

What Juniper Model

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a Juniper box for my lab, my only issue is what to look for.

I had a Juniper SRX210H in mind so i can use it as my ADSL connection also or just use it in my lab.

If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them, except an olive ;) i want the hardware.
There is no Motivation like self Motivation.

Remember if you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Re: What Juniper Model

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Just get a SRX100. The features are the same across all the SRX models so for a lab your set.

sirsamon
Post Whore

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 pm

texanmutt
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Mendlar
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Security, CCNA, JNCIS-ENT

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 pm

I have a SRX100 that I won at a Juniper training event and it easily handles my 30mbps home connection. No chance it'll choke on ADSL ;)

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Mendlar wrote:I have a SRX100 that I won at a Juniper training event and it easily handles my 30mbps home connection. No chance it'll choke on ADSL ;)

No chance DSL will kill it.. They're rated for something like 600mb/s throughput with 65mb/s of ipsec.

Morphic
Certs:
CCNA, VCP3&5 ,JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-SEC CCNP

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Just one thing to add really - if you get the high memory version (H) you can use the UTM features as well. You can get a month's trail licence from Juniper, so when you have practised everything else, book your exam (assuming you're going for the security track) and then activate your trial licence, and muck about with all the features.

When I did the JNCIS-SEC there were a LOT of questions about UTM, more than I was expecting (and probably one my my weakest areas, not having ever used it).

If you get the base memory version (B), you can pay to upgrade it (it physically has the same memory but you need a licence key to unlock the high memory features).

Oh and if you get the trial licence, pass your JNICS and want to keep going for the JNCIP or JNCIE, bear in mind you can't get another trail licence for a year. Its bound to the serial number of your device. So if you're feeling really good about things, when you do the UTM labbing, practice JNCIE topics! Should make the JNCIS easier...

Finally, let me know where you're getting one from! I really want a few SRX100s (was going to go for 2 B and one H) for a home lab.

Check this out too...

http://www.3fives.com/virtual-network-o ... nos-router

Not my blog but very handy.

Good luck!

sirsamon
Post Whore

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks very much everyone :)

'

Return to Juniper Networking