General technical discussions.
ToniJ1960

gigabit lan cables

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I have 3 computes Im trying to get networked at gigabit speed.

Two were working fine the third one is giving me a fit only getting 100 mbps. So I switched the cable and used it with the two that were getting 1000 mbps. No more 1000.

Its a cat 5e cable 50 feet. Do I need cat6? Is it probably a faulty cat 5e cable? Should I just be more careful where I buy my cable from?

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: gigabit lan cables

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm

8 pins on a cat5e cable should work for Gig speeds.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

ToniJ1960

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:48 pm

ristau5741 wrote:8 pins on a cat5e cable should work for Gig speeds.

This is what I have read but this particular so called cat 5e cable simply wont allow gigabit transfer speed.

Can you recommend a place to get a decent cable for a fair price? Best buy wants over $30

Langly
Certs:
CCENT

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:08 pm

monoprice.com

If a cat5e cable has a bad wire or a poorly crimped head that makes it so one doesn't work you won't get gigabit

ToniJ1960

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm

All I changed was the cable and I get gb again so I know its that cable. Now Im weary of buying a cable anywhere unless its local and I can return it.

It cant be because its 50 feet and half of it is coiled up could it?

Langly
Certs:
CCENT

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:49 pm

ToniJ1960 wrote:All I changed was the cable and I get gb again so I know its that cable. Now Im weary of buying a cable anywhere unless its local and I can return it.

Prob just a bad cable, if there is a nick in it anywhere coiling up COULD cause the issue. I would look at the heads themselves at each end and see if all 8 wires are going to the end of the head. If they look like they arent, then the cable needs to be re-crimped

Monoprice.com works for cheap cables, if it doesn't work right they normally just send a full replacement

ToniJ1960

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Langly wrote:
ToniJ1960 wrote:All I changed was the cable and I get gb again so I know its that cable. Now Im weary of buying a cable anywhere unless its local and I can return it.

Prob just a bad cable, if there is a nick in it anywhere coiling up COULD cause the issue. I would look at the heads themselves at each end and see if all 8 wires are going to the end of the head. If they look like they arent, then the cable needs to be re-crimped

Monoprice.com works for cheap cables, if it doesn't work right they normally just send a full replacement

Ok just to update this I used a dmm on a high ohms setting and checked each wire on both ends at the connectors they all are continuous so there doesn't seem to be any broken wires.

'

Return to General Tech