"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Re: Exclusive Pictures of Google's Pluto Switch

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm

They had to fess up to their own networking gear because of the pics in this thread. :)

Teebor
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 am

Maybe I'm being a bit thick but if the devices need to communicate with a server to make routing decisions for Openflow don't they need a traditional (albeit more lightweight) network infrastructure to handle the communications between switches and server?
After all, the switches seem to be dumb when they are first powered on until they communicate with the Openflow server
Networking is much like making love to a beautiful woman
Slide your equipment in to the rack, Stick your plug in the socket, and if you have done it right at the end everyone is happy

Sepiraph
Certs:
CCNA:Sec/CCNP/CCDP/CCIP

Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 am

Teebor wrote:Maybe I'm being a bit thick but if the devices need to communicate with a server to make routing decisions for Openflow don't they need a traditional (albeit more lightweight) network infrastructure to handle the communications between switches and server?
After all, the switches seem to be dumb when they are first powered on until they communicate with the Openflow server

Based on the papers that I read (don't have time to set one up to play around...), yes in the sense that the traffic to and from the OpenFlow channel is not run through the secure channel (via TLS) that OpenFlow communicates in. However, just like the (now deprecated?) practice of using management vlan along with data vlan, there is no reason why you need a separate infrastructure for Openflow.

The Openflow protocol itself has a Flowtable (that allows it to uses the TCAM) that keeps track of the flow which allow the router/switch to make both routing and switching decision.

As for initial configuration, I suppose that'd depend on the vendor's implementation, but I can easily see an auto discovery feature via the Openflow port (actually this is explicitly stated in the most current specification as a future feature). Or more traditional setup when you'd statically configure the OpenFlow controller.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

garci66

Fri May 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Regarding the ports, I had read -ages ago- that one of the things Google was trying to achieve with the home-grown boxes was cut costs such as certification (electromagnetic compatibility, etc) as well as simplify the electrical/signal quality requirements as they had very specific needs, cabling lengths, etc. And in particular, they were simplifying the SFP / SFP+ so that they did not have to have good signal processing meant for 100m or 10K runs when they only were trying to achieve 5 meter runs between the top of rack and servers.

Did you try plugging an SFP at all in there?.. My bet would be a smaller (shorter) version of SFP+ active cables, with no signal conditioning at all and the shorter cages means a lot of the optic sits outside of the box and can be cooled passively (convection) without relying on the switche's fans or airflow to cool it.

Things like disregard for EMC can be seen with the fact that the PCB protrudes out of the box. This would never pass approval for a commercial product and would require more complicated mountings, etc.

You can see that the PCB is almost bare near the SFP ports, except the 4 ports on the back which look like "real" SFP cages meant for "fully blown" optics. Those seem to have a MAC chip next to each SFP cage since presumably those are their uplink ports and thus need longer runs and more traditional signal processing.

Interesting definitively!

omegaaf
Certs:
worked at exar/galazar/neterion

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 am

I can tell you what that is right now, its a development switch that you can switch out the ports for either standard ethernet or fiber optic cable.

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 am

Data plane switches. For OpenFlow

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 pm

with all those links on wired's front page this thread will be busy soon won't it?
PS 14k views: Steve your hit count is going to go up this month, time to charge the advertisers more.
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

ahabab

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:15 pm

in most operations solutions you have out of band network..
meaning those gigE interfaces are meant for getting an IP and booting an OS.

booting an OS has the advantage that if something goes wrong you just reboot it and you don't need/want to spend time troubleshooting it.. upgrades are also easier this way..

Being an edge switch I think that they have loads of those (in each rack at least 1), so judging from number of ports you could deduct number of servers in a rack..

As for the interface type.. I would bet it's the cheapest SFP there is.. and copper would also be money-wise the preferred choice with a few being fiber for access/core switch connectivity..

what makes me wonder.. why are modules sticking so much out.. either it must be cooling choice or their racks have some space limitations when it comes to width..

Anyway.. these switches are not the interesting part, as the most magic happens in the core.. just imagine the beast that controls hundreds of plutos..
There was some info about the first trial versions of that, but it was a full-size server with 10G cards to demonstrate the concept..
They also used FPGAs for control plane functions then..

PS: forgot to mention that it has the same HW specs as my first bsd router I built for my home :) except 10G ports though :(
Last edited by ahabab on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:20 pm

they mentioned that the ports were to shallow for SFPs though

dhimes.com

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 pm

It's that new type of super cheap SFP designed for <10 metres or something, which a lot of DC fibre is

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 pm

15K + hits on this one!!

awesome!!
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 pm

mellowd wrote:It's that new type of super cheap SFP designed for <10 metres or something, which a lot of DC fibre is

the coax ones I assume?

dhimes.com

ahabab

Re: Pluto Switch

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:18 pm

javentre wrote:I would like a clearer picture of the transceiver slot, with measurements, but it looks like a CXP.
http://www.finisar.com/blogs/lightspeed ... and-cxp-2/

price of one is around 1000$.. and it's 100G..
http://www.sanspot.com/Finisar-FTLD10CE1C-Duplex-CXP-p/ftld10ce1c.htm

and I'm not sure if the FPGA on board could deal with forwarding 100Gb for 20 ports..

also I don't see the cage on the board..

maybe google found out that you don't need modules for such short distance :)

stanleyalex07

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 pm

garci66 has it. PCB sticking out is a giveaway.

These are probably Molex connectors, as others have pointed out. I think they may be the iPass+:

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/fam ... n#overview

It looks like they may be doing 10G iPass to the servers, and then 4x 10G SFP for the uplinks.

VendettaforV

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm tellin you man this some government lies! lol. Strange little device

Netw0rx
Certs:
Certified Awesome

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Oh the things I could say.. but I can't. :P

timhalo
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 pm

PM me I promise wont tell anybodiez!

Is it Arista gonna buy google?

Is google alive?

Netw0rx
Certs:
Certified Awesome

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:25 pm

timhalo wrote:PM me I promise wont tell anybodiez!

Is it Arista gonna buy google?

Is google alive?

Woops didn't realize I just necro'd this thread - sorry about that.

Lol - who can afford to buy Google? Companies can't even afford to buy their employees.

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Where do we sign the NDA to get the full scoop? :)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | Friends don't let friends run 802.1x. Think of the Children.

'
Previous

Return to General Tech