General technical discussions.
Luminous

Networking Homework

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 am

I hope this is the right place to turn, I'm really at a loss. I am currently enrolled in an Introduction to Networking class at my college, and what I have come to learn over this semester is that jumping into any kind of computer IT program is hard enough, but with an online course with book learning only and no hands on, I am completely lost. I just need to make it through the last bit, and there are certain parts of assignments I cannot find anywhere. It has hands on projects, but does not include the software to complete said projects.

I had no prior knowledge of networking, programming, or any of the above, and at this point, I just want to make it through this class. I would have gladly dropped it as I can see I am in over my head, but I am on FAFSA funding and cannot drop below 12 credits without the risk of academic probation.

Anyone willing to aid an IT idiot in any way would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the consideration,
Luminous

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL

Re: Networking Homework

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:19 am

most on this board will be more than happy to assist with any questions in regards to homework as long as you put forth some sort of effort to show you are trying. just flat out asking for answers to homework questions will almost always be ignored.

Luminous

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:04 pm

I can completely understand that, and I do want to learn how to do it correctly, but I have spent hours looking for these both in my book and online. It has gone from just basic multiple choice to applying the knowledge you have learned. As mentioned, what I have learned so far seems theoretical because I have no way of practicing it or really talking to anyone about what I do/do not understand. The course is just right or wrong learn as you are able to teach yourself and I am in over my head :(

-How many bits must be reallocated from host ID to network ID to create 16 subnets?

To be honest I have NO idea on this. Nothing at all, I don't really get the parts to do with bits and binary :(

-What is the correct order of headers, from left to right, in a completed frame?
a. Frame, TCP, IP
b. UDP, frame, IP
c. TCP, IP, frame
d. Frame, IP, UDP

The order I keep finding is Frame header>IP header>TCP header>get the course.com homepage>Frame trailer

-What field of the IP header does the Tracert program use to get the IP address of routers in the path?
a. Version
b. TTL
c. Checksum
d. Protocol

I'm honestly not sure I know what this "Tracert program" is or means or what they are asking for in this.

-Which of the following is not found in a connectionless Transport-layer protocol? (choose all that apply)
a. Three-way handshake
b. Port numbers
c. Checksum
d. Acknowledgements

I keep looking and I can not find "connectionless" Transport layer, just connected.

I'm not sure if you are willing to help me with these, but if so I would be very grateful.

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:05 pm

a few things.
may or may not help you.

1) read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_frame
2)tracert (trace route) is a diagnostic tool for checking how many routers you go through to get from one network node to the destination. these are called "hops" so if point a is 3 routers away from point b it is 3 hops. tracert uses the ICMP protocol.
read this and you may find your answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracert

3)connectionless...I will give you a hint..UDP. think of what UDP doesn't do that TCP does.

networking can seem almost impossible to learn but as I am a testament to it, you will eventually get it ;-)

took me ages.

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

oh and as for subnetting,
follow my cheat sheet

you know how to write out an octet (I would hope)

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1....

ok here we go

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
now underneath writhe it backwards but make sure 16 is under 16

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
2 4 8 16 32 64 128

now the top portion are total hosts and the bottom are total subnets

hosts 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
subnets 2 4 8 16 32 64 128
bits /25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30
"bits" are the masked off bits in the subnet mask. normal class C is 24 bits 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 == 24 bits or 24 "1's"
also called a /24 network
last 2 are not used as with hosts you need to subtract 2 for network and broadcast addresses.

so now you know how many bits to allocate for 16 subnets ;-)

'

Return to General Tech