All home networking related discussions.
bavman
Certs:
none

Need suggestions for home file server hardware

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Currently I have a Belkin F5D7320-4 router that all my computers connect to share files. Though the connection is fairly slow and the fastest I've gotten files to transfer is only a little over 1Mb/s. I'm pretty sure my actual computer is up to date so I think it's the router that is bottlenecking the transfers.

I've decided to build a small file server that will be connected to share all my files between my computers at home. I will also host the files from home so I can access them online whenever I need. The file server will have this motherboard:
http://www.gearxs.com/index.php?route=p ... ct_id=1219

which has a Atheros AR8152-B 10/100 Fast Ethernet Controller. So me questions are:

1) Is it just my router thats bottlenecking my ability to transfer files quickly?
or
2) Do I need to also get a decent LAN card since my file server is going to be pushing out data? (not a lot though, honestly no more than 2 people will be accessing it at any time)

could you please suggest some parts for me? I'd like to keep things sub-$100 if at all possible.

Thanks for any help

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Re: Need suggestions for home file server hardware

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Why not just get a NAS?

bavman
Certs:
none

Re: Need suggestions for home file server hardware

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm planning on doing some other small things with the server, plus it was fairly cheap for my to collect my own parts ($160) and I already had the drives.

'

Return to Home Networking