All home networking related discussions.
scottewing

Help needed to set up a wireless repeater.

Sun May 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi,

I have a crappy VM dlink dir615 d2 that is not strong enough to broadcast a signal through my house. A friend gave me a netgear wn802t repeater to help. I'm no expert at networking so I've spent most of the day trying to get this to work - obviously as I'm now on the forum I've also given up!
Anyway in the hope someone can help I've got a couple of questions. Firstly i've not made many changes to the dir615 however i think this is the case:
1. Broadcasting on channel 6.
2. I've set up a reserved DCHP connection for the repeater using the ip 192.168.0.115 and set it to the netgears mac address.
3. Mac filtering is off.
4. Ssid called homenet

The netgear the settings are:
1. Dhcp client disabled. (I tried enabling this withan ip address of 192.168.0.115 to match above but i was told there was no response from the server so i disabled it again).
2. Ssid set to netgear.
3. Broadcast channel set to 6.
4. Enabled for wireless bridging and repeating - repeater without wireless client association as apposed to wireless point to multipoint bridge.
5. Remote mac address set to dir615 mac address.
6. Authentication settings setup using the original wireless network password.

As i say i really don't know what i'm doing here. Do i need to set both ssids the same? Should they both be broadcasting on the same channel? Do i need to get the dhcp client working, if so what should i be setting it to?

All help and advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

'
Return to Home Networking