All home networking related discussions.
gurrry
Certs:
none

No one can solve my problem. Can you?

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 pm

I am having the craziest issue with my internet. This all started about 5-6 days ago.

To get straight to the point, when doing ping tests from CMD, I get frequent time outs. Sometimes its 0% loss, sometimes its 2-3% loss. However, every time a timeout happens, my internet completely stalls. This is extremely troublesome when playing games over Xbox Live as the game will pause right along with the timeouts.

I have Time Warner Cable, 20mbps download/2 up. As far as troubleshooting, you name it... ive done it. We had a level 3 technician (the best TWC has to offer) and he tried everything possible. Checked all the connections, changed modems, checked the connection outside. Not only that, I had someone come today and REPLACE the line in the house. Everything is completely brand new at this point...

But still I get the timeouts, the lag, the "this page cannot load". The timeouts are having an extremely harsh effect. They occur randomly, but often.

The ONLY thing I can think is that there is some off frequency effecting my connection. We just had new neighbors move in. He isnt stealing my internet, ive already checked. But could he have a device that is effecting my signal causing my internet to have frequent pause/lag like this?

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: No one can solve my problem. Can you?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 am

Are you getting a grow house net door ?
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

gurrry
Certs:
none

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Lol.. as in like a weed grow house? Not that im aware of.. heh.

Im guessing this is just a problem that cant be fixed? So its just done forever? I dont get it. Where is the smartest networking person in the world? Will he be able to help me? Or is he just gonna shrug his shoulders and say "derp.. i dont know"?

stevester1
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, CCNP DC, 350-080

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

what kind of internet does TWC offer? fiber, coax, dsl?

croschek98
Certs:
CCNA, 1/3 CCNP (ROUTE)

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:03 pm

I had this issue, and I had to adjust my MTU down. Once I did that, my problems went away. That was on a DSL connection. I dont remember what I had to set it to, I am on Cable internet now.

Hope you get it fixed. Good luck.

gurrry
Certs:
none

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:36 pm

TWC offers coaxil cable internet. Its basically the same you would have for a cable TV.

The MTU stuff sounds interesting, I will be doing research on that right after this post. What do you mean by "lowering it"? Any information on how to do it or how you did it?

Ive also come across something interesting while reading about what MHZ bandwidth you have. From what I understand, this will affect frequency or noise. I wonder if this has to do with the issue? Does anyone have any experience in this field? I feel a little over my head at the moment.

ccmadm1n
Certs:
CCNA / CCNA VOICE

No one can solve my problem. Can you?

Wed May 02, 2012 9:13 pm

cable modem is a shared medium so the more people on your block that move in and subscribe, the less bandwidth you are going to get (20/2 is just a best effort, no guarantees you'll get that whatsoever) - ESPECIALLY at peak hours like 5pm to midnight.

try speedtest.net and post your results then try bandwidth.com or speakeasy.net or bandwidthplace.com and see if you get similar results

i want to see what your upload speeds are -

also, where are you pinging when you do those ping tests? try pings to multiple destinations and lets see/compare the results here

also, do a "tracert x" where x is the same destination you are using for pings that lose packets

so for example:
ping google.com
tracert google.com

Framer
Certs:
CCNA

Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 pm

You have a router or switch attached to your modem? I had a linksys wrt120n wireless router that exhibited same symptoms. It also wouldn't forward Apple mdns traffic correctly. Replaced it and my issues went away...
helpdeskonfire.blogspot.com

willroute4food
Certs:
CCIE R&S

Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 pm

pathping is handy as crap for things like this as well. It can sometimes point you to where the traffic loss is (at least to a certain extent).

'

Return to Home Networking