All home networking related discussions.
HelloWorld
Certs:
degree

Network router latency problem

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:24 am

My connection lags after surfing or playing online games awhile but after i reset my router it become smooth again. Can anyone help me with this issue? I am using TL-WR941ND wireless router, on cable network.

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Re: Network router latency problem

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:31 am

hmm. I suspect that there are some services running on your PC that might be bogging down your network.
could be the router however in most cases like this it is either some sort of spyware, network services for your game or something like that.

when the net slows down again open the command line and type "netstat" then post what it outputs.
we can take a look. lets rule out your PC before we move on to the router.
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Halo
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP (R&S, Security), ITILv3 Foundation

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:22 am

Define 'lags'? Do you mean that you experience more latency? In which case, use an internet speed test to gather some data; try getting some before gaming online, after gaming online, and after restarting your router.
Also, take a look at the support site for your router and see if there are any software updates available for it which address you current issue. That aside, you could also look at something called DD-WRT and see if it will run on your router.

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:11 am

Overall slowness and lag are two things. As suggested define if you mean lag or slowness.

I've seen issues in the past were tormenting fills up a NAT table and slows the router down. I doubt that's the case here though.

Best to work out if its network or software slowness.

Sent via mobile internet.
- Pete

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 am

Project2501 wrote:Overall slowness and lag are two things. As suggested define if you mean lag or slowness.

I've seen issues in the past were tormenting fills up a NAT table and slows the router down. I doubt that's the case here though.

Best to work out if its network or software slowness.

Sent via mobile internet.

You mean torrenting? :mrgreen: Although for the router that's tormenting yes.
I had that too once, DD-WRT allows you to allocate more memory to the NAT table.

Typical sympton is opened connections work fine, but opening new connections like new web pages is slow.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:51 am

woopsie :lol:
- Pete

'

Return to Home Networking