All home networking related discussions.
tomh123

Trying to get a Linksys WAP54G to work with Netgear PWL

Thu May 31, 2012 4:59 am

HI

I have had a few problems recently with my Linksys WAP54G ver 3.1. Basically i used to have it set up as an access point so it could broadcast wifi in a location that our main router could not reach, our main router is a Linksys WAG200G gateway. It was connected to our WAG200G through a netgear powerline system which was connected to our router at one end and then at the other we had a 4 port netgear internet adapter to connect to the WAP54G access point as well as our Xbox 360. This was all working fine as we had no problems with Xbox Live connectivity or with recieving wifi from the access point. However at some point after we came back from holiday the WAP54G had stoppped working despite the fact that the powerline system was fine as shown by our perfect connection on the Xbox.

Having got in touch with Cisco/Linksys i have managed to reset the WAP54G and set it up to have the same connection as our main router e.g. same name, settings.

We thought we had got it working again as it works fine when connected directly to the WAG200G through a single ethernet cable. However when moving it back to its original location and connecting to the powerline system we have full signal but no internet access. I have tried it with another powerline adapter but the same problem occurs. Like before the powerline system continues to work fine being connected to our Sonos system and the Xbox like before.

Is there anyway i can get the connection with the WAP54G working again?

Would it be better to buy a Netgear equivalent access point as it is the same make?

Can i/should i set up the WAP54G as a wireless repeater to simply boost the signal of the WAG200G? If so, how can i do this?

Thanks

Sorry for the long description

'
Return to Home Networking