All home networking related discussions.
JimmyJohn

Is this router specially configured?

Tue May 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Hello,

this is a verizon fios router. I can successfully connect wirelessly and ping www.google.com and www.ebay.com but I cannot access the internet through a browser. The only connected device besides mine is the MoCA connection (which I'm not sure what that is). The router appears to have an IP and should be ready for internet access. Do they make FIOS routers that only allow certain data to pass for set top boxes? A screenshot is attached of the connections. Anybody have any insight?
Attachments
hmmfios.png
Global connections
hmmfios.png (41.43 KiB) Viewed 499 times

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Re: Is this router specially configured?

Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 am

looks like DHCP is disabled..
does your PC have an IP address?
are you using static IP addresses? is the default gateway entered correctly? DNS server etc..?
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

JimmyJohn

Wed May 30, 2012 3:18 pm

DHCP is ENABLED for the first connection labeled Network (Home/Office). You can see that it lists the IP address for this part of the router as 192.168.1.1 and the mask as 255.255.255.0. My PC is setup to automatically receive an IP, gateway, mask, etc. through DHCP and I do obtain all these settings. I think my PC is 192.168.1.2, with the gateway being 192.168.1.1 and mask listed above.

I think this router is configured to just allow whatever information the cable box needs from the internet, but I don't see any firewall rules or anything similar that would be blocking regular internet use.

stuart475898
Certs:
CCNA

Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 am

What error is displayed when you try to access google or ebay? What happens if you use another PC/phone connected to your network to try and access these sites? Ensure that a proxy hasnt been configured within your browser. Has it worked in the past and if so, have you changed anything or has anything happened prior to it no longer working?
www.ccnapractice.com - Randomly generated CCNA labs

JimmyJohn

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11 am

I get the "Page cannot be displayed" error. Other PCs receive IP addresses but also get the same connection problems. No proxy has been configured in the browser. Tried with IE and Firefox. Using command line I pinged www.google.com and received its IP address. Tried to type to IP directly in the browser and it still wouldn't connect.

flyer57
Certs:
ABCD EFGH IJK

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 am

Doesn't your screenshot show that broadband connection in "Down". Maybe the MAC for this router is on a blocked list at VERIZON because you aren't paying for broadband or there is a problem with the connection....... I'm just speculating. Not really familiar with Verizon FIOS

stuart475898
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:21 am

Hmm. It looks to be either a problem with the way the router has been configured, or the connection itself. I would recommend getting in touch with Verizon at this point and have them start investigating.

In the mean time, if you don't mind committing more time to this before Verizon get back to you, some other checks you could perform are if you have an email client on one of the machines, can that access the email server? So far all of the failed tests have been HTTP requests. If you look at the firewall/security page on the router, is there anything that stands out? Post a screenshot if you're not sure. Are you on a capped service? Maybe you have exhausted you bandwidth allowence? Finally, have you turned the router off and on again?
www.ccnapractice.com - Randomly generated CCNA labs

'

Return to Home Networking