All home networking related discussions.
Jay12321

Office Rewiere

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 am

Hey guys.. i have been given the opertunity to rewire the office i work in.

we have little over 20 comps. in the office there are 3 "islands" of comps. at the minute it is a assortment of cat5 cables going either straight into the main switch or from router to swith.

i was thinking of getting a router in each island and only having 3 wires go back to the main swith so all comps can go via 3 seperate switches.

now this is where my question comes.

ive been researching and looking between cat6 / cat 6e (which is sorta overkill atm i thinnk) but i was wondering if i could benifit if:

i have cat6e stp from router to switch (or is this to much for maybe 10 comps max)
and then cat 6 utp from router to comps.

is it ok to use cat 6e and cat6 in same network, like is it worth wile or should i just use cat6 througout ( or cat6e thoughout)

also the switches i got atm are 10/100 this is why im not sure if id benifit from cat6/e. but then again if i have 10 comps transgering though a 10/100 then thats like a 100/1000 yes?

Alan87i

Re: Office Rewiere

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:13 pm

I would save coin and use 5 of the cat5 cables you have now too each location.

Davidr
Certs:
CCNP

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:50 am

you would want to have the router at the network edge, where you connect to the internet at .

i would use switches at the islands. switches are faster at switching packets which is what you will be doing with the pc at the islands.
then connect to the island switches together and then connnect the router to a switch

using cat6 will future proof your network allowing you use gigabit later on.

we have the a similar number of pc's where i work at one office and we are still haven't decided to go to cat6 yet

Jay12321

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:04 am

Davidr, sorry u just realise i obviously wasnt paying atection when i wrote this :doh: .

The islands Are switches, they in turn connect to the main switch.

i wanted to just confim that a cat6/cat6e network is compatable together and that the single cat6e will be able to handle all traffic from a maximum of 10 comps with ease?

Alan87i

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:41 am

I run gigabit through cat5e all the time.
I think the cat6 stuff will be required for 10x gigabit when ever it's available or affordable.

Jay12321

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:23 am

right ive been doing some more research. it appears this network will have no noticeable difference wheather i have cat6 or cat5e, unless you can tell me otherwise?

This is where i can use some help now please. i was thinking that if i connect the 3 "islands" swithces up to the main switch with a cat6e cable it will be able to handle all traffic flawlessly as it can support 10gigabit, but is this the case if im useing cat5e / cat6 cable for the rest of the connections?

let me explain 1 "island". say i will have 10 computers connected to a switch useing cat5e cable, then i wil connect that switch to the main switch via 1 cable.
this is why i was leaning towards cat6e, but will it still be 10gbps? i dont think so from what ive been reading. if not will 1 cat5e cable be able to handle all the traffic from 10 comps? (internet, server conections, etc)?

Davidr
Certs:
CCNP

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:29 am

will every pc be sending at max speed every day for the whole day? We only have 17 users at one site connected at 100mbps. so 1.7gb could be reached on a busy day,but the trunk connection between switches is only a single 1gb connection for the moment.

watching the traffic on the network show that they wont hit that 100mbps for some time. Only the backup of the servers reaches that and that is only for an few hours in teh middle of the night.
Do you have a network benchmark to work with ?
If you are worried about the main switch copping with the traffic you could put a etherchannel between the switches for redunancy. etherchannel (port teaming) is where u combined two or more ports together to act as one connection
so 2x1gb = 2gb connection and so on...

maybe go with cat5e and save some money and use the money some where else in the project.

Jay12321

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 am

Hey Davidr

I wansnt really worried about main switch as we have a pretty good one, but more the singel line.

say for instance i was the same as you with 17 comps, if they where all connected to a secondary switch via cat5e/6. then that switch is connected to the main switch with a cat6a cable. now if at max they where say the 1.7gb mark, if im useing cat6a(10 gigabit) will it be able to pass all the traffic, or will it revert to the other tecnology speeds of cat5e/6 (100mb/1000mb)?

Alan87i

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm

It won't matter what cable you have if the switch supports only 1gigabit then your top speed is 1GB
If your getting 10GB switches then swap the long runs too the main switch with cat6.
The switch at both ends would need to be 10Gb.

TheRussianSpy

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:38 pm

First, please fix your spelling, it takes a while to understand what you are talking about.
Second, if your island switches support only 10/100Mbps then you will only have 100Mbps from them to main switch. If they support 1Gbps, then it would be useful to run Cat6 from them to main switch(which I assume supports 1Gbps).
If your users only browse Internet and access smallish(under 1GB) files on local server, 1Gbps between island switches and main switches would be more than enough. Now if you have all 30 users trying to watch a 15GB movie from the server, then you'll get some slowdowns.

'

Return to Home Networking