All home networking related discussions.
vwabbitman

Need advise on adding wireless range to home network

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 am

My parents have dsl through frontier. the provided modem/router (Netgear 7550) wasn't sufficient enough to cover the whole house so I bought a router (D-Link DIR-657. Here are two drawings of the layout of the house and modem router locations.

I originally tried putting the router in the same room as the modem but that made a marginal difference. now the router is in my room and the modem is still in the office so that a sufficient signal reaches the tv room. my proposed router locations are where I think it would be the best locations to get better wifi coverage along with getting internet to the shop which right now barely gets a signal.

so with that are my ideas for router placement ok or would there be better locations and what router/range expander would be best. if I can id like to leave the modem where its at and hardwire routers to it.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: Need advise on adding wireless range to home network

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am

rule of thumb is 50% of the wireless range, so if you can get AP signal at 50', the wireless range extender should be about 25' distance from the AP.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- "Emergency Belkin. $40........................Boom."
- "I see" said the blind man pissing into the wind, "it's all coming back to me".
- Sausage time

'

Return to Home Networking