Dynamips/GNS3, .net files, and Cisco networking labs.
emirates
Certs:
CCNA

Tecnhical Issues in GNS3.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 am

Hi everyone.

I am facing some problems in GNS3 due to these problems I cannot continue my labs.

I have dell inspiron notebook with Core i3 Processor, 4 GB RAM & windows 7.
I installed VMWare and shared 3 GB RAM & 80GB HDD, I installed windows Xp on VMWare.
Then I downloaded GNS3 v0.8.1 VBE all-in-one (unofficial version with VirtualBox support) and installed on windows Xp.

I perfectly managed to install loopback adoptor, configure my router and till installation of SDM everything was fine.

Now the problem I am facing is :::

1. I placed router 3700 series on topology and I connect it with cloud after starting router my system goes very slow. It look that it really sucks my PC, processor value keeps on going up and down most of the times it is 100%. After trying several times Idle PC vales comes with *, I select idle PC values with * but still my computer goes very slow.

2. I designed a small topology and I saved the project but when I again opened the project i found the router without any configuration

Please help me out
Thanks
ladak

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Re: Tecnhical Issues in GNS3.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 am

Why are you running gns3 in windows xp, running in a vm running on windows xp?

Why not just run it directly on your initial Windows XP?

emirates
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:11 am

My notebook is compatible with windows 7 only, I cannot install windows XP on it.
I also installed GNS3 on windows 7 directly but when I created loopback adoptor it shows an error "Unidentified Network"
I also searched 6 days on internet about this error, I got so many answers but not even a single works, so I decided to install VMWare and then install XP on it............ I am really tired with this issue, please help me out.... Thanks

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 am

emirates wrote:I also installed GNS3 on windows 7 directly but when I created loopback adoptor it shows an error "Unidentified Network"

That's normal! Until you bridge the Loopback Adapter with the Local Area Connection, it's not going to do anything useful. Bridge it, wait 20 seconds (for what I believe to be STP convergence or a new DHCP lease on the new MAC), and it will work fine.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

emirates
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:28 am

@Reggle, It means you are suggesting me instead of using XP on VMWare, I use windows 7 (default windows in laptop) and bridge loopback adapter with local lan and install GSN on windows 7. Am I right?

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 am

To reduce the CPU usage start a router and right click on it and click "Idle PC" that will "fix" your CPU usage issue. (by fix I mean make it better)

For the config after you save your config next to the console button in the top middle there is a button with an arrow over 2 pages and another arrow blow them called "import/export startup configs" using that you can export the configs to a folder, then import them into the router when you restart them.
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 am

emirates wrote:@Reggle, It means you are suggesting me instead of using XP on VMWare, I use windows 7 (default windows in laptop) and bridge loopback adapter with local lan and install GSN on windows 7. Am I right?

If you want to connect GNS3 to physical equipment: yes. That's exactly how I do it.

emirates
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 am

@Reggle, I really want to Thank you, my first problem resolved. I Installed GNS on windows 7 and bridged loopback adapter, now it works perfectly. One more thing, I saved the whole project, I also exported the config from export option File->Export/Import, but when I reload the project I could not find any router configs, even I also imported it but nothing found. Please resolve it.

Thanks

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 am

I'll admit I'm no GNS3 expert. My configs usually don't stay too after a reboot. Still have to try dlots tip above. There's a checkbox when you start a project that helps, and I'm looking into trying a TFTP server on the physical network for GNS3 configs. But so far, I've done all my labs in one time (yes, that takes hours).

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 am

did you do a write-mem before you backed up the configs? and figure out percicly where they were saved?
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

emirates
Certs:
CCNA

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:49 am

Hi everyone,

I want to thank all persons who helped me in resolving my issues, now I can run GNS3 easily and also I can save my topology.

Thanks very much
bye.

Vardan

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:33 pm

The static route is registered
I do
clear ip route *
Or directly
clear ip route 192.168.2.0

The command is carried out successfully, but
Does not leave
That is in
show run
The route on the former is visible
What I do not so?

P.S. I the beginner, train on GNS

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:48 pm

A static route stays there until you remove it with the 'no' command.

shaila49

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:29 am

I have downloaded GNS3 0.8.2 several times. After unzip the folder i found all .dll files , putty . But no install wizard appears or i cant find it any where. But there i find an icon named gns3 & after clicking it GNS# software interface appears with router models. it shows a new window "new project" ..... now this is the situation. what should i do???

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:58 am

You should read the manual that came with the application

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm

mellowd wrote:Why are you running gns3 in windows xp, running in a vm running on windows xp?

Why not just run it directly on your initial Windows XP?

Thats like wearing a condom when your girl tells you no need for one shes on birth control

:woohoo:

'

Return to Dynamips/GNS3 and Labs