Cisco Works, SNMP, MIBs.
labyandrews

snmp-server host - Trap forwarding / Polling LMS - Doubt

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 pm

I have a doubt on the snmp-server host <IP> configuration, I have the router configuration like below , I'm facing some issues on the SNMP polling for the devices, even though I'm receiving alerts to LMS , traps for up/down are not coming properly to LMS
do commmand ( snmp-server host <ip> ) is a must for SNMP manager if I 'm mentioning like below ( 10.20.30.1 is my SNMP Manager ie LMS)

config :
snmp-server community <string> RO NMS
ip access-list standard NMS
permit 10.20.30.1
deny any log
Router#sh ip access-lists
Standard IP access list NMS
10 permit 10.20.30.1 (16242 matches)
20 deny any log
Laby

labyandrews

Re: snmp-server host - Trap forwarding / Polling LMS - Doub

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Just got information on this while doing a more dig in google..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_ ... #wp1113568

///
If you do not enter an snmp-server enable traps command, no notifications controlled by this command are sent. In order to configure the router to send these SNMP notifications, you must enter at least one snmp-server enable traps command. If you enter the command with no keywords, all notification types are enabled. If you enter the command with a keyword, only the notification type related to that keyword is enabled. In order to enable multiple types of notifications, you must issue a separate snmp-server enable traps command for each notification type and notification option.

The snmp-server enable traps command is used in conjunction with the snmp-server host command. Use the snmp-server host command to specify which host or hosts receive SNMP notifications. In order to send notifications, you must configure at least one snmp-server host command.
///
Thanks everyone for your valuable time
Laby

'

Return to Cisco Network Management