VoIP, Cisco Unity, Cisco Call Manager, MeetingPlace, IP Phones, AS5350, AS5400.
dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

home lab or ine rental rack

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:10 pm

i am debating whether or not to add to my current lab or just to rent rack time to lab for the ccnpv. Just realized they use 2811s but they're running 12.4(22) ios. Now knowing they are running that ios makes me think maybe my current lab may still be of use and perhaps i can just build on that.

current lab is:

2 x 1760v's 12.4 advip pvdm 4fxs wict1 modvpn cme 4.0
2 x 3550 poe emi
2 x 2950
4 x 7960s
cisco softphone
dell 1425 server ubuntu running gns3 8gb quad core 80gb sata (will upgrade to 1tb if i get the media)
1 x asa 5505

i can buy media but only if i choose to do ccnp v at home
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.6 (Node1 & Node2)
Cisco Unity 8.6
Cisco Unified Presence 8.6
Cisco CUCM Business Edition 8.6
Cisco Unified Contact Center Express 8.5
VMWare Image CUCM, Unity, CUP, UCCX 8 Snapshots and ISO

I was thinking of getting one 2801 to run 15.0 ios

Do you voice guys think i can do the ccnpv with my current setup and just add a 2801 pvdm16 and vwics?

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Re: home lab or ine rental rack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:14 am

im not sure how much they push the UC stuff in the CCNP-V but I dont think you need all that lab kit.

PVDM will only do you good if your voice lab will call out via an analog line so probably dont need one.

im not very voip savvy but that 1760V should work.

I dont think you need 15.0 IOS either..
can anyone else confirm?
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:28 am

Would be awesome if your right. Your saying I wouldn't even need the 2801 can I replace with anther 1760v 12.4.

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:23 pm

anyone else has anymore insight?

Alpha Centauri
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA-V

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 am

When setting up the lab for CCNPV, you gotta ask things like.. do I plan to move on to CCIE-V later, or just sell this equipment once I'm done with CCNPV. The answer to that question will let you know if you need the beefier equipment. If we are just talking NP-V, you can get by on the smaller gear like 1760V and 2620XM.

For the CCNPV, you will be dealing with a few different things on the gateways. I'll discuss those in a second, but the biggest part of the CCNPV lab is the servers that will be running CUCM. You will need a PUB, SUB, Unity, and CUPS... preferrably all running at the same time, but you could get by with no SUB. In VMWare, the PUB/SUB will take 2GB of RAM each, Unity Connection needs 4 GB of RAM and 160GB Hard drive to install, and allocate another 2GB for CUPS. If you wanted to run all of these (and the VMWare OS), you would need a 16GB PC. You may be able to run three of them on an 8GB server. And thats if we are talking single site deployment. To test some of the other concepts like intercluster trunking, you will need two servers.

As for the gateways, you will want to have a MGCP, SIP, and H323 Gateway. You might be able to get by with just testing one at a time, but since you already have 2 voice routers, go ahead and get one more so you can have all three running. More gateways are never a bad thing. I like to have the MGCP gateway connected across the WAN (use a cheap router to simulate the internet with serial links so you can play with bandwidth speed) for SRST testing. Then I would have the H323 and SIP gateways on the HQ network. Like I said, you could combine those into one router if you wanted.

As for PVDMs, you will need a couple in at least one of your gateways to test Media Resources. If we are just talking CCNPV, then you wont need much because you pretty much just have to be able to register them to call manager. If you plan to go on further after CCNPV, then get a little larger PVDM when you buy one since you don't get many slots. 28xx use PVDM2s, not PVDMs. Same for VICs, 28xx use VIC2s.

The IOS version won't matter much. 12.4 is fine. There are some small additions on the newer ones, but nothing that you'd have to test on. Biggest difference in my opinion is that toll fraud is enabled by default.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Alpha Centauri
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA-V

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:22 am

My Lab:
2x 2811
PVDM2-64 in each
NM-CUE in one
VIC2-2FXO in each
WIC-2T in each

1x 3640 (PSTN simulator)
2x NM-2V
1x VIC-2FXO (connects to real PSTN)
2x VIC-2FXS (for connections from the gateway routers)
NM-2FE

1x 2621XM
NM-2V
1x VIC-2FXO
WIC-2T

1x 2620 (Internet simulator and/or FR Switch)
2x WIC-2T

Server 1:
Running ESXi
8 GB RAM
PUB/Unity.. havent got around to installing CUPS on it yet

Server 2:
Running VMWare workstation on top of Vista
6GB RAM
SUB

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks alpha! I only plan to go up too the ccnp voice level. I do not plan on going up to the cciev level if i do it would only be because my employer at that time requires it or i come into a situation that employers would prefer that cert over np.

At that point i'd assume i will be at a level that i'd be making more then decent amount of money so buying 2811's or 2801's shouldnt even be an issue. But thats not the case now trying to keep life in my current lab. I know other people mentioned has to be 2800 series router but i was looking around apparently alot of the bootcamps run routers older then 2800s.

Only experience I have is planning, deploying, supporting a single site (where i currently work) running cucme. I plan on getting my ccnp voice to get a strictly voice role in a larger environment and maybe start making the big bucks.

Ok great! Does the cpu have to quad core? I have a older server believe single core.. dont remember but i could run 1 maybe.. 2 vm on there.

I'm dedicating 33 weeks to voice to cert up then look for better opportunities

Bottom line I would only need one more 1760v, 2620 frame relay router which i previously sold :cry: , and one more server... correct? I wouldnt need vwic t1's right? only vic 2fxo to simulate sending voice data over to the pstn to handle ccnp voice. Do you have your lab diagramed on visio im interested to see how you layed it out. I take it from the 2811's you are going for the ccie right?

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm

had a question regarding pstn i see it mentioned in the lab topology. The 3 sites connecting to the pstn how do you configure the router to be pstn. What is needed? Is that something explained in the ccnp v training material?

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm

hey alpha would i be able to run cucm 8.0 and other uc appliances on esxi3.5? I have a dell sc1425 and i read that performance is terrible with esxi 4 and 5 but is stable with 3.5.

'

Return to Cisco Voice and Video