ASA/PIX, IDS, IPS, VPN, Cisco Secure ACS, AAA, ISE.
udaemen

S/w upgrade help

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:03 am

hi guys,

i have a challange for you, who can me help with the following problem.

i have a Cisco pix 520 running image pix512.bin. The pix has currently 2 MB flash. I want to upgrade my s/w to pix634.bin. So i bought a flashcard with 16MB and installed it.

if i copy the new image to the pix it ask me an activition key. I type mine activation key and i get the answer it is invallid.

Strange not.

Can some one help me with it

Thanks,

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:44 pm

first off, i'd go with the 624 b/c it's general deployment whereas 634 is early deployment. you want other folks who need the new features found in 634 to also find the new bugs found in 634. :)

secondly, could you have copied the activation key incorrectly? you can contact cisco to get that number or reinstall the 2mb flash and get it that way....

udaemen

Pix

Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:09 am

yes thats now the problem. I have some connection within the cisco organisation so a key is not a problem.

But every flash card has it own serial. But i can find the serial number of this one. Is there a tool for it.

TechManDude

Re: S/w upgrade help

Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:08 pm

udaemen wrote:hi guys,

i have a challange for you, who can me help with the following problem.

i have a Cisco pix 520 running image pix512.bin. The pix has currently 2 MB flash. I want to upgrade my s/w to pix634.bin. So i bought a flashcard with 16MB and installed it.

if i copy the new image to the pix it ask me an activition key. I type mine activation key and i get the answer it is invallid.

Strange not.

Can some one help me with it

Thanks,

If you have bought a new flash card then find out which software version is on the flash card.

You can install the new flash card and then boot up the PIX. Collect the show version output and check.

If there is some feature you would like to enable, then you can send an email to licensing@cisco.com for that.

If you have software version there like 6.1 then upgrade to 6.2.4 which is the latest GD version (stable). 6.3.x code is still ED stage (Beta).

If you have an older software version on the new flash card then you will have to upgrade to atleast 5.3.x code. Then reload the PIX and make sure it is running fine. You can then go further to 6.2.x or 6.3.x code.

GarryG

Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:14 pm

Is there an overview of changes available between 6.2.4 and 6.3.4? I have some problems at a customer site with failover device (admin via PDM and ssh die frequently) ... guess I need to try 6.2.4 and see if that fixes the problem ...

TechManDude

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:25 pm

:lol:

6.3 code has new features like VLAN support, OSPF etc.

You can see this link for more info:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc ... /index.htm

'

Return to Cisco Security