CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
Retired Account
Post Whore

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Zingonet wrote:I took the CCNA 3 years ago and failed the first time. I think the only reason I failed the first time was because I was drinking soda all morning (I'm a diet coke fiend.) During the test I had to go to the bathroom so bad, that it completely distracted me. Soda is a diuretic which is not good when you are taking an exam that you can't take a break on.

So the second time around a week later, I made sure I didn't drink anything like soda in high volume and aced it (got a 910 on it). Moral of the story be sure you are not only prepared mentally but physically. It is really important to keep that in mind.

Btw I am set to take the CCNA again (got to lazy to go for the CCNP) 6/28 at 12:15. I'll be sure I don't make the same mistake I made the first time.

Yep.... honestly I've discovered it's very much like playing a billiards match, as I'm a league player.

Anything that distracts you, distracts your game. If you have to pee... if you're hot, if you're cold, if you're mentally distracted (break-up with your gf, etc.), if you're hungry, they are all factors that take you off your peak game.

When you're spending $150 a pop or more on an exam, you better come prepared, and better be on your peak game. These tests are no push-over... in my opinion compared to the other certifications I've obtained.

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Zingonet wrote:During the test I had to go to the bathroom so bad, that it completely distracted me. Soda is a diuretic which is not good when you are taking an exam that you can't take a break on.

Soda as you've tag it in it's simplest form is just water and carbon dioxide. When these two are combined it creates carbonic acid which isn't the diuretic. Caffine on the other hand is a diuretic just like alcohol.

I make beer in my spare time. :P

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Project2501 wrote:I make beer in my spare time. :P

+1

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Nice! :cheers:

djohnsfb

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:55 am

Besides regular studies & practice of router If we solve the dumps more than their any chances of not scoring well in the ccna exam ?
Someone told me that if we solve the most of than their more chances of scoring well because the most questions appears in the exam are ones which have been asked in the previous exams.

Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble

sgtcasey
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:13 am

djohnsfb wrote:Besides regular studies & practice of router If we solve the dumps more than their any chances of not scoring well in the ccna exam ?
Someone told me that if we solve the most of than their more chances of scoring well because the most questions appears in the exam are ones which have been asked in the previous exams.

If by dumps you mean brain dumps those are generally considered to be cheating and not the way I would suggest you obtain a Cisco certification. The CCNA is easy once you get into it because it's the basics. If you can't even master the basics you're going to have a really rough time later on when you get into the hard stuff.

Dave
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

eaadams
Post Whore

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:00 am

Yeah, well get your English grammar and expression sorted out before you think that you can handle any trouble.

And as they say, dumps are for chumps.
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

ColdistheVoid
Certs:
none

Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Are brain dumps the same thing as practice/simulated exams...

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL

Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:23 pm

ColdistheVoid wrote:Are brain dumps the same thing as practice/simulated exams...

no. brain dumps are methods of cheating. easy way to get a pass, even easier way to make a fool of yourself at a job interview. do yourself a favor and stay away.

ColdistheVoid
Certs:
none

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Definately dont want to cheat, like you said, once u get to the interview you will be screwed if you dont know your stuff. Plus im interested in this networking field so i dont need to cheat... But, Im also taking classes to get a A+ certification. And how in the hell am i gonna remember how many pins every different connector has.... I feel like the A+ cert will be much harder.

Lightworker
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA:V, CCDA, IPCXS

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:14 pm

I always make the cheat sheet during the survey portion. When I was taking the ICND1, it was a subnet chart to save me time. Sometimes it was LSAs, ADs, stp timers, voip codec figures etc. There would be tests where I wrote a lot, and some tests where I wrote down very little.

Last time I sat for a test, there was a hottie sitting across me from taking IUWNE--tell me that wouldn't distract you :drool:

HighFreak1c
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Lightworker wrote:Last time I sat for a test, there was a hottie sitting across me from taking IUWNE--tell me that wouldn't distract you :drool:

Wait... Girls like networking? :thinking: ... Hot girls?... REALLY?!
Study, study, study...
Believe yourself~
Do more than say!
At proper time, try some dumps!
Then succeed belongs to you!!

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:12 am

Lightworker wrote:Last time I sat for a test, there was a hottie sitting across me from taking IUWNE--tell me that wouldn't distract you :drool:

Same thing when I was doing my JNCIA-EX

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:32 am

mellowd wrote:

I must be going to the wrong testing center. Usually no one is there when I test and if there is it's never a hottie.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

Lightworker
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA:V, CCDA, IPCXS

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 am

wirerat wrote:
mellowd wrote:

I must be going to the wrong testing center. Usually no one is there when I test and if there is it's never a hottie.

GA isn't too far away :D

anthony
Certs:
CCNA, ROUTE, SMB Engineer

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 pm

wirerat wrote:
mellowd wrote:

Dang. That's enough to throw my subnetting off ! :P
Weblog -http://blog.ciscoinferno.net/
Twitter -@pandom_

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:57 am

They're probably long haired boys. Don't be mistaken.

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:04 am

baybars wrote:They're probably long haired boys. Don't be mistaken.

No mate, she was definitely female ;) I made sure I looked

Retired Account
Post Whore

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 am

But did you do the physical check.... Crocodile Dundee style... :P

hunter_thom
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, LPIC-1, ITIL

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:32 am

These days, the physical check may not be enough...
http://projectportfolio.info/jhazen/

'
PreviousNext

Return to Cisco Certifications