CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
discount

CCNA using NV1000 virtual appliance, possible?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi

I have a VMware lab at home with ESXi 5 and 2 Hosts, I just spent a bunch of money on that to update my Microsoft and VMware certifications, but looking forward a lot of new jobs seem to want everything, VMware, MS and Cisco so I'd like to undertake a CCNA once my MS and Vmware certs are updated.

(2 servers and 5 NICS in total, with a vmware distributed switch)

I'd really like to minimize the amount of equipment I have in my apartment, is it possible to setup a lab for CCNA almost completely inside of VMware? is the Cisco NV1000 virtual appliance going to be at all relevant to CCNA ?

I have an old 2600 series router that my work does not use anymore, a 1720 router and an ancient catalyst 1900 Switch, I could potentially integrate all of these into my network.
I also have an HP procurve switch.. not Cisco I know, but could be useful for a lab.

Just want some peoples opinions here on if i have enough to build a sufficient CCNA lab to study some CBT/Trainsignal material on.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Re: CCNA using NV1000 virtual appliance, possible?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 pm

No, no 1000v on the CCNA. Dynamips is what you're after.

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 pm

How are all your 2 hosts connected together currently? Networking wise......
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

discount

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:51 pm

burnyd wrote:How are all your 2 hosts connected together currently? Networking wise......

Externally just through a couple of unmanaged gigabit switches.

Internally there is a VMware distributed switch running through vCenter.

I have a few networks running internally and use vyatta a little bit.

I'm not a network guy really, more of a server person.. but times are changing I really need to gain a deeper understanding of networking.

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:55 pm

yes, get 2 2950's off of ebay should cost you roughly 100 dollars for both.. I would imagine you are not handing off trunks or using vlans currently if you are using 2 unmanaged switches the only thing with Cisco is gig managed switch even for layer 2 they are expensive so if you dont mind using something with just fastethernet it will work. Your Dvs will be able to read tagged traffic on their respected port groups.

unfortunately with dynamips/gn3 there is no real switching. 2 2950's your 2600 and a 1720 should be just fine for a ccna lab.

discount

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:03 pm

burnyd wrote:yes, get 2 2950's off of ebay should cost you roughly 100 dollars for both.. I would imagine you are not handing off trunks or using vlans currently if you are using 2 unmanaged switches the only thing with Cisco is gig managed switch even for layer 2 they are expensive so if you dont mind using something with just fastethernet it will work. Your Dvs will be able to read tagged traffic on their respected port groups.

unfortunately with dynamips/gn3 there is no real switching. 2 2950's your 2600 and a 1720 should be just fine for a ccna lab.

No, no real need to have any vlans at this point.

I figured this would most likely be the case, was kind of hoping it could be virtualized but doesn't appear so.

Also I notice you have Juniper certifications, if you don't mind what kind of equipment is required for a Juniper lab ?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Digitowel
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, NP/DP/IP

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm not a network guy really, more of a server person.. but times are changing I really need to gain a deeper understanding of networking.

I like how this can be and should be said the other way around, too. If you aren't thinking in a Data Center focused mind, you're doing it wrong.
And actually I appreciate MS certified people quite a bit. Not in the " I wish I did what you did" kinda way, but in a "I'm glad you're doing that so I don't have to" kind way. - Infinite ca. 2010

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:21 pm

discount wrote:
burnyd wrote:yes, get 2 2950's off of ebay should cost you roughly 100 dollars for both.. I would imagine you are not handing off trunks or using vlans currently if you are using 2 unmanaged switches the only thing with Cisco is gig managed switch even for layer 2 they are expensive so if you dont mind using something with just fastethernet it will work. Your Dvs will be able to read tagged traffic on their respected port groups.

No, no real need to have any vlans at this point.

I figured this would most likely be the case, was kind of hoping it could be virtualized but doesn't appear so.

Also I notice you have Juniper certifications, if you don't mind what kind of equipment is required for a Juniper lab ?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Run a FreeBSD VM and install juniper / olive on top of it. Theres a few writeups on how to do the process. Its a really easy certification to get.

discount

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm

burnyd wrote: Its a really easy certification to get.

Says the CCNP :lol:

But seriously thanks for the input and suggestions, I have a better idea of how to go about setting up a lab when I need to.

stevester1
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE R&S, CCNP DC, 350-080

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:05 pm

If you're not looking for headaches at this point, packet tracer, gns3, or even boson will do a fine job.

'

Return to Cisco Certifications