RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, VTP, STP.
pkbest
Certs:
Security+, Network+, A+

Multicast over MPLS Issues

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Hello everyone. I am a bit stumped and perplexed by an issue we have here at my site. We have a factory in another state that we have connection to via 2 tunnels, MPLS, and P-2-P. We are getting ready to host a huge broadcast from the owners out to all factorys and instead of sending out the video feed unicast, they want to send it multicast through MPLS. However, my mtrace comes to a dead stand still after 2 hops. Basically, it is trying to send the multicast over a tunnel and not MPLS and im trying to re-route it so that it will ONLY go over MPLS. I am wondering, what is the best way to do this?

ANY help is appreciated. None of us here in the office are total experts on Multicasting at all.

Regards,

Patrick :wall:

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Re: Multicast over MPLS Issues

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:16 pm

You can static mroute all your mcast traffic out that mpls link. What is the best path to get to that remote site? Is it over the MPLS circuit or over the tunnel at the moment?
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

pkbest
Certs:
Security+, Network+, A+

Re: Multicast over MPLS Issues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 am

Honestly, best path is MPLS. we do have tunnels, which is what I BELIEVE its traveling through currently, but because ip pim sparse-mode is not set up on the tunnel 30 or 31, its not working. To make things worse (possibly), 2 of my locations can access the internal link page but video just goes to ready status. However, another location will NOT load the page what so ever. These routers are configured nearly the exact same.

I can't figure it out. If i wasn't worried about Operational Security and all that, I'd post configs..

'

Return to Cisco Routing and Switching