General off-topic discussions.
Mr_Smith

Network security training

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Just seeking some help as to which direction I should go with this. I have been looking to get into network security for a while now, its just I have no idea where to begin. I was hoping someone helped me and pointed me in the right direction, if anyone here is working in that field mind sharing a bit on how you got started? Any advice is welcome thanks

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Re: Network security training

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 pm

What's your idea of network security?

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 pm

I would not start with Security+

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:34 am

one thing I find helpful is ethical hacking.
learn how hackers think and what tactics they use to penetrate a network.
it is one thing to learn firewalls and port security it is another to try and circumvent them.

security+ or CCNA-SECURITY(note, need a CCNA first) are a good start however, think about the flip side. offensive security as well as defensive.
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:39 am

baybars wrote:I would not start with Security+

from a resume perspective i would.

Halo
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP (R&S, Security), ITILv3 Foundation

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:22 am

As someone who works mostly in a firewall/ids administrative capacity, you're going to need the following.
Proof of capability with two firewall vendors (Checkpoint / Cisco / Juniper would be the big three to pick from, others are out there like Watchguard, Cyberguard, Palo Alto, HP).
If you want to be on the policy side of things, writing documents etc, then I'd look at CISSP or Certified Ethical Hacker. Security+ might be a fun way to get your feet wet, but it isn't going to get you an interview unless you've got a lot of practical experience.

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 am

the real reason i always recommend security+ is it literally will take you a week or two of studying to pass and it's a good resume padder for those lacking experience. ccna: security is a nice one to grab for those wanting to move into a more network focused security position.

eaadams
Post Whore

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:28 am

nicklauscombs wrote:the real reason i always recommend security+ is it literally will take you a week or two of studying to pass and it's a good resume padder for those lacking experience. ccna: security is a nice one to grab for those wanting to move into a more network focused security position.
Security+ will certainly get you familar with the language (encryption v hashing, symetric v asymetric encryption, PKI, cetificate management, non-repudiation, IPS v IDS, etc, etc) plus I think i think I got some US govt thing or other too.

In terms of the OP's original inquiry, if you don't know where to start with network security, then you have to know something about networking first!

Lost count of the 12-15 year olds on college open days who want to be whitehats and ethical hackers, blah, blah, - I tell them to think about that in 10 years time after they've at least learned to spell TCP/IP.

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

Mr_Smith

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Halo wrote:As someone who works mostly in a firewall/ids administrative capacity, you're going to need the following.
Proof of capability with two firewall vendors (Checkpoint / Cisco / Juniper would be the big three to pick from, others are out there like Watchguard, Cyberguard, Palo Alto, HP).
If you want to be on the policy side of things, writing documents etc, then I'd look at CISSP or Certified Ethical Hacker. Security+ might be a fun way to get your feet wet, but it isn't going to get you an interview unless you've got a lot of practical experience.

I was thinking along the lines of the first. Can you do it off of just certifications or do you need some sort of degree as well to get into those types of jobs?

eaadams wrote:
nicklauscombs wrote:the real reason i always recommend security+ is it literally will take you a week or two of studying to pass and it's a good resume padder for those lacking experience. ccna: security is a nice one to grab for those wanting to move into a more network focused security position.
Security+ will certainly get you familar with the language (encryption v hashing, symetric v asymetric encryption, PKI, cetificate management, non-repudiation, IPS v IDS, etc, etc) plus I think i think I got some US govt thing or other too.

In terms of the OP's original inquiry, if you don't know where to start with network security, then you have to know something about networking first!

Lost count of the 12-15 year olds on college open days who want to be whitehats and ethical hackers, blah, blah, - I tell them to think about that in 10 years time after they've at least learned to spell TCP/IP.

Aubrey

Well I at least understand the concept of it.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:30 pm

if you want to go full tilt into network security, check out the GIAC web site,
there is lots of info there and their certs are well respected by the community
http://www.giac.org/
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I think that the material is covered in a very boring way, and it is so far from the practical "network security", one might even lose the interest.

Even CCNA Security wasn't "practical" enough from my point of view. Of course it was a lot better than security+.

I did not do any hacking related study but I've played with backtrack for example, it is probably the most fun way to start security.

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:08 pm

OSCP or nothing at all..

J/K - Just start reading and learning the basics..

eaadams
Post Whore

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 pm

baybars wrote:I think that the material is covered in a very boring way, and it is so far from the practical "network security", one might even lose the interest.
Even CCNA Security wasn't "practical" enough from my point of view. Of course it was a lot better than security+.

That's just it, network security is inherently boring. I really don't know why people would want to work at it fulltime. If you're bored as a student, then what it is like for the instructor! In addition to having their CCNA knowledge and skills, which is essential, I would prefer that my CCNA - Security students also had their Security+ then I wouldn't have to cover all that blah stuff and could focus on the practical skills. And the Cisco Networking Academy CCNA-Security course is very hands-on. If fact the labs are massive!
The lab topology we use is:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~eaadams/st ... opoloy.png
Info on the course generally is here:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netac ... urity.html

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 am

I still have the lab book from TAFE. There were 8 or more 20 page labs iirc and some of the old BSCI labs weren't that big.

SDM put me off things. SSH and away you go~ <3 my srxs.

Sent via mobile internet.
- Pete

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 am

eaadams wrote:That's just it, network security is inherently boring. I really don't know why people would want to work at it fulltime.

Full time on the security side here. I think a lot of people get sucked in by a romanticized image in their head of what working security might be like. Trust me it can be just as boring and have as much paper work as any other job out there.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 am

nicklauscombs wrote:
eaadams wrote:That's just it, network security is inherently boring. I really don't know why people would want to work at it fulltime.

Full time on the security side here. I think a lot of people get sucked in by a romanticized image in their head of what working security might be like. Trust me it can be just as boring and have as much paper work as any other job out there.

I think it's the promise of high $$$$ salary that sucks them in.

and it does pay well, but you have to be good at it or you end up working at the used car dealership down the street.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

eaadams wrote:
baybars wrote:I think that the material is covered in a very boring way, and it is so far from the practical "network security", one might even lose the interest.

That's just it, network security is inherently boring. I really don't know why people would want to work at it fulltime. If you're bored as a student, then what it is like for the instructor! In addition to having their CCNA knowledge and skills, which is essential, I would prefer that my CCNA - Security students also had their Security+ then I wouldn't have to cover all that blah stuff and could focus on the practical skills. And the Cisco Networking Academy CCNA-Security course is very hands-on. If fact the labs are massive!
The lab topology we use is:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~eaadams/st ... opoloy.png
Info on the course generally is here:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netac ... urity.html

Aubrey

That's a great lab you are using... I only had GNS when I was studying, and I did not feel that I failed to cover any significant topic... Are ASA's even on the exam blueprint? I only used IOS Firewall/IPS.

eaadams
Post Whore

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 am

baybars wrote:
That's a great lab you are using... I only had GNS when I was studying, and I did not feel that I failed to cover any significant topic... Are ASA's even on the exam blueprint? I only used IOS Firewall/IPS.
Yes the new CCNA-Sec objectives include intro to ASA plus the router based stuff. SDM is gone, it's CCP and ASDM now

Aubrey

nicklauscombs
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:44 am

eaadams wrote:
baybars wrote:
Yes the new CCNA-Sec objectives include intro to ASA plus the router based stuff. SDM is gone, it's CCP and ASDM now

Aubrey

definitely glad to see those changes made.

DieselJeeper
Ultimate Member
Certs:
MCSE, MCP+I, SEC+ (working on CCENT/CCNA)

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:56 pm

baybars wrote:I would not start with Security+

Why not? For someone with no real idea, it's a good basic overview...

'

Return to Forum Lobby