General off-topic discussions.
MrGrim
Certs:
Various Telephony Certs

Radio Network Engineering 3G/4G

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 am

Maybe a long shot, but can anyone point help me out with some information on 2G/3G/4G radio network engineering in the UK?

I'm at a stage in my career where I'm planning next steps. This was an area that interests me, especially field based hands on work. What vendors are used? Are there any industry based/vendor certifications. Are there any online resources or forums. I have some links into employers in the UK who would hire in this area but would like to build up some experience at least in theory before I would try and get in at entry level.

Any help would be brilliant :thankyou:
http://g711.info

dieselboy
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Voice, SMB Select, Linux+

Re: Radio Network Engineering 3G/4G

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm

I was having a discussion with a colleage the other day about Cisco 3G routers, and how one would go about studying to understand the standards and the configuration of equipment. We kind of agreed that the learning may be in the CCNP Wireless certification track somewhere. However I have just scanned through the syllabus and cannot find any reference to 3G. I'd be surprised if it's not in there somewhere amongs other certs.
Meanwhile, back in the city...

MrGrim
Certs:
Various Telephony Certs

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry, just saw this reply. Thanks for taking the time. I think a lot of my problem is that I have not idea what vendors are being used and then in turn what certifications are studying can be done to get my foot in the door. I'm quite resourceful though so I'm sure I'll do some digging and work it out :D

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

We have a few Cisco routers with 3G cards in them here and there for customers in the middle of nowhere. I hate them. The 'speed' is awful.

As for learning to configure it we just checked the relevant Cisco configuration guides and went from there. The cellular interface is configured much the same way as a DSL interface so you have a dialer interface and stick them both into a dialer-group.

If you're more interested with working with Orange/Vodafone/etc themselves then I have no idea

MrGrim
Certs:
Various Telephony Certs

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for replying. I've got a few contacts in Vodafone, so will send a few emails. I don't really want to look at the design aspect as much as implementation and support. A lot of the time these companies have a 3rd party contract to provide the actual hands on stuff.

'

Return to Forum Lobby