General off-topic discussions.
Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

When do you study?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 am

The topic is simple and open ended.

I used to study on the train until the books became too cumbersome to carry (waiting for that fabled eReader).

Otherwise these days I normally have two monitors. One side for the pdf and the other for the lab or gns3 or... production :squint:

I'm curious to see if people have a study schedule they try to keep to. Are you the kind of person to reward yourself after reaching x hours worth of study? Are you studying for the CCENT and if so how do you go about it? Maybe you're neck deep in CCIE labs or the like. Maybe you're learning on the job and find yourself jumping between topics.

:thinking:
- Pete

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Re: When do you study?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:14 am

I try to always get at least 1 hour at work each day dedicated to reading or lab time. Monday and the weekends are spent with the wife and kids. Tuesday through Thursday are 2 - 3 hours of study after dinner and we get the kids down. Fridays I usually dont study but if nothing else is going on then ill do the same as the rest of the week.

I always try to set a timeline for each topic/chapter but I dont always hit those times. I first read all material for the topic, then I run through several labs to solidify. I then follow up with any additional reading or labing to solidify the topic. If possible I always try to lump in past topics with current topics to keep up with past topics.

After getting through all topics for the exam Im usually 2 - 3 weeks out from my exam and start mixing as many topics into labs as possible and focusing on practice exams (if available) and topics Im weak on. last two weeks before the exam I cram as much time in at work as possible. Home is straight to study after eating dinner until bed time. My wife hates the last two weeks of study :)
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

michoudi
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA R&S/Security, IPS, FIREWALL, QoS

When do you study?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 am

The only set time I study is during breakfast. Besides that I sneak it in whenever I can at home after work.

I grab breakfast on the way to work everyday. I've found myself starting to leave the house earlier lately to get in more study time.

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

I try to get some hours in at work but not much lately. At home, usually 2-3 hours on weekdays and maybe 8-10 hours on weekends.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

Sepiraph
Certs:
CCNA:Sec/CCNP/CCDP/CCIP

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 pm

When I get alone time away from the wife...
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Sepiraph wrote:When I get alone time away from the wife...

I hear ya ;)

Ok... Not really :lol:

Sent via mobile internet.
- Pete

sirsamon
Post Whore

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:35 am

Mondays are off, Tuesday to Friday around 6:00pm or earlier if possible until 10pm or later if i want to Finnish the lab or task at hand.
Saturday and Sunday are my biggest days 9am until 10pm or later finishing a lab or reading.
There is the very odd (rare) time i will not get all day on a Saturday or Sunday , the wife wants some help or going somewhere.

Once the exam is passed i have 2 weeks off to rest.

:)
There is no Motivation like self Motivation.

Remember if you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die.

Teebor
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 am

Not enough time :-(
I'm sorting my lab out at the moment to make it tidier and to give me better remote access, so hopefully more time soon.
Otherwise it is old jeremy training vids during my lunch break for routing protocols atm.
I really need to add structure though
Networking is much like making love to a beautiful woman
Slide your equipment in to the rack, Stick your plug in the socket, and if you have done it right at the end everyone is happy

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 am

Teebor wrote:I really need to add structure though

This.
- Pete

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:40 am

I've been slacking majorly, with the olymipcs coming, last week was the swimming finals, this week it's the tour de france, baseball all star game,
olympics will be starting in like 2 weeks. maybe after the olympics are over, I'll get back to study.

study time for me is usually after the kid goes to bed. till about 10PM. weeknights, except friday. so like 4 nights a week.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 am

Working full time and going to school full time. I'm lucky if I get a few hours in each week. I prefer weekends and weeknights but school is fighting for that time. I told the girlfriend when we move into the new house I will be dedicating two nights a week to non school study time.

'

Return to Forum Lobby