General off-topic discussions.
jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Gunnars

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm

I bought some Gunnar Optik computer glasses to see if they'd help with the eye strain I've been having lately after being on the computer all day at work, then all night studying for the CCIE. I was originally looking at them a few months ago, but I never bought them simply because I wasn't willing to shell out the money on something that sounds as hokey as iONiK something and diAMIX something else.

Are we 12 here? Who the eff writes words like that?

Lately when I was looking again I noticed that there is a discount page on the Gunnar website, and the "Stylus" glasses I'd been looking at were substantially cheaper than the regular price on the website. So I decided that ~$60 was worth risking and got them. Here they are.

After putting them on the biggest difference was the slight magnification they have. I don't wear glasses, but I probably should. The slight magnification these offered immediately made the screen easier for me to read. You also notice the yellow tint right away, and it certainly softens look of a computer monitor quite a bit.

The effect overall is that the white backgrounds of text/word/webpage documents is "softened" substantially. I never really noticed before, but after wearing the Gunnars for a bit them removing them, all those big white portions of your monitor really are very strong. Surprisingly, I find they also have a positive effect on the green on black I like to keep for terminal colours (and I do spend a lot of time in a terminal window). The Gunnars do seem to make the green "pop" just a little bit more.

After wearing them for an hour and taking them off the effect they were having was much more apparent. The piercing white/blue light was restored, and the change was very noticeable. My screen really did look "harder" with the glasses off then when they were on.

But an hour certainly isn't enough to make a judgement on anything. They did seem to make the screen easier to look at, but I spend a lot more time than an hour on a computer...

I got the glasses on a Friday, and I had 8 hour vRack sessions booked for both Saturday and Sunday that weekend. Both days I had near 8 hour solid config marathons and I wore the Gunnars all weekend. A couple things were made apparent after this.

• The "6 hour" headaches that I sometimes get didn't not appear either day
  • After 8 hours I was still able to comfortably read my screen

All in all I have to say, the results seem to be pretty positive. So because the certainly weren't making things worse, I wore them all week whiel at work, and int he evenings studying. That was the week before last. I also had 2 more 8 hour labs last weekend, and I put in some massive marathon studying sessions last week as I was off from work most of the week. ON the order of 12+ hours a day of solid Config T action. And after 12 hours I could lean back in my chair, and still comfortably read my screen.

So at this point I do intend to continue to wear them. I think that they are, for the most part, working as advertised.

However, I'm not sure I'd suggest that everyone run out and buy some. I think, as with anything, there's a real YMMV factor here. If you don't get eye strain, then these won't do anything for you. I also think that these are solving only part of my problem, and that I really need to get off my ass and see an optometrist. I'm very sure that a lot of my eye issues are around my degrading eyesight and could be fixed with proper glasses. If you have poor eyesight then go see a doctor. These may help, but they won't solve the problem.

Specific to the style I got, the actual glasses are not very large. When I look down (to read a practice lab requirement or the odd glance at the keyboard) I am not looking through the lens anymore. That transition in and out of Gunnar-View is somewhat unnerving. With the slight colour and magnification difference it takes an extra fraction of a second to adjust to the new view. This will certainly vary by frame, but is noticeable with the Stylus and I mention it here purely as informational.

Overall they are comfortable to wear, and they are very well built. If you're thinking of buying some I would suggest you check out the Web Specials page before you start dropping the kind of money they're asking for regular pairs (I honestly don't see any difference in the $60 Stylus vs. the $200 Stylus).

So yeh, so far so good. I like them, and I will keep wearing them. We'll see if that's still the case 6 months from now; that'll be a better test.

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Re: Gunnars

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Awesome review. I've looked at these a few times once they were first brought up on the forum. I've got perfect eyesight. At work we've got some nasty fluorescent lighting. I find myself straining most of the day. It's gotten to the point where our Outside Plant Manager shuts off the lights whenever he can. I may go for a pair here soon if we don't end up moving offices.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 am

I just had an eye exam yesterday, had a talk with the dr. he said that my distance vision perscription was for just that viewing distance, and my reading perscription is for close up viewing, what I really needed was a mid distance perscription for say viewing things 2-10 feet away, we talked abount gunnars and that the dr could to adjust my distance perscription for mid range viewing. my issue with computer screens is that by wednesday afternoon my eyes are tired and I can't focus and read the words on the computer screen anymore. OOP for me with custom perscription was quoted at $400 US
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:48 am

ristau5741 wrote: by wednesday afternoon my eyes are tired and I can't focus and read the words on the computer screen anymore

I think they do make a difference here. It's not a life altering magic pill type of fix, but I would say I've noticed a difference after long, full days in front of a screen that I can focus and read much better than without the Gunnars.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sat May 26, 2012 11:18 pm

There's a 25% off sale with coupon code gunnargeek for today only. I checked and it does work in the discount section of the website as well as on the regular stock.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes I do still wear mine. A lot.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 am

Infinite wrote:And in case anyone is wondering, yes I do still wear mine. A lot. While making sweet love.

Fixed.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Sun May 27, 2012 8:29 am

I've still got my pair on hold, ever since I got my new job, I've been dropping like 500 a week on this or that, something always seems to pop up, and cost
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Sun May 27, 2012 11:17 am

stylin
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:12 am

Bought a pair today. The ones I wanted on the discount portion of the site were out of stock. I was able to find a different pair I liked for about $20 cheaper than the regular price on Amazon. And since I'm a Prime member, they'll be here tomorrow :) Fingers crossed that the headaches go away.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:05 am

Which ones?

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 am

I got the Wi-Five in the Onyx colored frames.

routerdork
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA, MCDST, MCP, A+

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:13 am

If anyone is interested Woot has a few pairs for pretty cheap. I just got a second pair to keep at home for lab time.

http://www.woot.com/plus/gunnar-optiks- ... ng-glasses

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Those prices look the same as the Gunnar discount page I linked to in the OP.

*Edit*

Nope, they are cheaper. Nice.

'

Return to Forum Lobby