General off-topic discussions.
Codenerd
Certs:
A* in A Level Computer Science

SATA Sharing over network (Over IP)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 am

Hi Everyone,

I know that it is possible to forward USB ports over the internet but i was wondering if the same principle would apply with SATA disks?

If say, for arguments sake, somebody ended up with 5 bad sectors on their hard disk and couldnt boot off this disk, and could not read from this disk as a secondary drive, is it possible for this drive to be shared over the internet so that i could run a Testdsk on it and recover some files from that drive remotely?

james1052
Certs:
CCNA Sec, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, Linux+, Net+, A+

Re: SATA Sharing over network (Over IP)

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:11 pm

lol. The best way if you really must do this is have a PXE server like FOG or TRK which network boot to hard drive tools and maybe preconfigure your image with SSH access for you. If you can't put a PXE server on the LAN and you actually need to do this across the WAN, there are ways to do this through stuff like Unetbootin, though you may need a preconfigured flash drive if your going to use this in the case of a failed drive. You've got all kinds of things to think about here though, like...are you going to be supporting home users with funky home firewalls blocking you out?

One other option since you seem to like to think bizarrely out of the box: Maybe you would be happier with a KVMoIP device? They can actually also let you boot to a remote ISO, thought it can be pretty fussy if you don't use external power.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/ ... pider.html

You may run into a cost issue here, bro...
http://breakstuffmajorly.blogspot.com

dieselboy
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Voice, SMB Select, Linux+

Re: SATA Sharing over network (Over IP)

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 am

NAS?
Meanwhile, back in the city...

'

Return to Forum Lobby