General off-topic discussions.
deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

When the Engineers Don't Like It... Hit the C-Level Gang

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 am

I have a rant. After doing a product evaluation, the vendor that lost out went to the directors, VPs and C*O types with a presentation that showed how they were flat-out cheaper than the vendor that won, and that they did the same job... and that they question the intelligence and ability of those that conducted the evaluation. We're still going with the vendor that won, but with a much reduced deployment because it had to get more competitive with the product that was both crappier and cheaper.

This is what I don't like about salesmen... they will do anything to make that sale. ANYTHING. Engineers would just look things over, go with the best solution, and then let someone else worry about how to pay for it.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

mlan
Ultimate Member

Re: When the Engineers Don't Like It... Hit the C-Level Gang

Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Politics/Business as usual.

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:

Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:00 pm

True. But any rant against a salesweasel is a good rant.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

mlan
Ultimate Member

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 pm

deanwebb wrote:True. But any rant against a salesweasel is a good rant.

QFT

synack
Certs:
RHCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP in progress

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:02 am

I used to run into that when I worked in .gov. It's important the vendors understand upfront the difference between an RFQ (request for quote) and an RFP (request for proposal). In an RFP, price is only one of the factors considered, and a contract isn't automatically awarded to the lowest bidder.
Route [X] Switch [X] Tshoot [ ]

"Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening, work ethic. You know, while the other guy’s sleeping? I’m working. While the other guy’s eatin’? I’m working. While the other guy’s making love, I mean, I’m making love, too. But I’m working really hard at it."

SofaKing
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:11 pm

This happened to my team as well. Did the vendor's name start with a B... by chance? All they did was blow a chance to do business with us in the future.
“Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal, a commitment to excellence, that will enable you to attain the success you seek.” – Anonymous

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:18 pm

SofaKing wrote:This happened to my team as well. Did the vendor's name start with a B... by chance? All they did was blow a chance to do business with us in the future.

Hehehe... not with a B... But it *was* one of the letters of the alphabet... :roll:

hizzo3
Certs:
What's a cert? - None, yet.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 am

Was it.... Belkin?

matgar
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, CCNA Security

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:15 pm

hizzo3 wrote:Was it.... Belkin?

He said it didn't start with a B.

hizzo3
Certs:
What's a cert? - None, yet.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Oh. My mistake.
I thought Belkin was so awesome it started with all the letters of the alphabet, simultaneously.

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:47 pm

If Belkin had applied they wouldn't have gone with anyone else.
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Irony note: the company that tried to nuke a competitor with an appeal to the C-Level is itself getting broiled bye the same tactic by another competitor in a different technology. Live by the appeal to the execs, die by the appeal to the execs.

'

Return to Forum Lobby