General off-topic discussions.
jamie
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP

Datacentre Phone

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 am

Guys

Has anyone got any suggestions about a good phone to use in the datacentre, im talking about a mobile(cell) phone, which has a good loud volume and good mic.

Work issue us phones and they are always rubbish, either i cant hear them or they cant hear me.

Any Suggestions?
Jamie

killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Re: Datacentre Phone

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't have a suggestion for that "one" phone. We just had phones with long enough cables to reach most sides of the DC. Unfortunately, this wasn't feasible in large DCs and you still had to carry around the phone or handset, which hindered the tech when he needed his hands.

I personally use a Bluetooth ear piece when I'm in the data center troubleshooting over the phone with someone. Although the device has all the fancy noise and background cancellation features, I still speak loudly just to be sure they hear me and enunciate my words fully. Nothing more frustrating than than miscommunication or audible issues when troubleshooting.

Let me know if you find something or have clever strategies. I think this is something often overlooked...then when something breaks in the DC and you call your DC tech to troubleshoot, you find that there's either, A) no phone in the DC, B) no phone coverage for cell phones, or C) phone limitations, such as poor/bad audio or short cables. This could add even more delay to your outage.

jamie
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 am

killabee wrote:This could add even more delay to your outage.

very much so, we were troubleshooting an issue with some DWDM's and theres no cell coverage in that room, no phones in the room, the closest phone is outside the room by the iris scanner, so running in and out all day. fun
Jamie

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 am

We usually just use a hardphone. But it's not perfect when needing to speak to someone while looking at a rack 5 metres away

'

Return to Forum Lobby