General off-topic discussions.
javin
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA-Voice, Security +

Re: Weekend - 4/26

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm

that1guy15 wrote:
Yep, emergency calls can be made from anywhere without a SIM or contract. When people need to get me in emergencies I have a work pager, that's righ, you didnt read that wrong... I have a pager :|

Its funny this question has been brought up to me by almost everyone I have talked to about this. It is a little strange going offline when away as I am used to being connected at all times but if you think about it everyone was this was 10-15 years ago with out any issue. It also help that Im not allowed to take my cell phone into work so I already have that huge disconnect.

My wife is not as brave as I am, plus she needs her phone for work so we plan to drop her service in the next week or so and setup with a pre-paid plan. Not sure which one ATM. For me if this experiment fails then I will jump over to pre-paid as well.

If it works the two of us are looking at $100 a month savings and if i have to get prepaid then about $70 a month. Either way that is huge!

Next I just need to talk her into dropping cable TV and going 100% online. This will be a harder fight...

Yeah, having to leave the phone outside because of work makes it about 1/2 your day you aren't missing it. I have a work cell phone for when I HAVE to make long calls and also a work VoIP phone at my house for when I work from home.

How is your OTA reception for TV? My wife mainly just use our Antenna and Netflix/AMZ Prime. However we do acquire a show or two but not near as often as I would have thought. Also, we use a VPN to watch HGTV shows from an out of country site.

Sounds like you are on the same path I am as well as a lot of the country. Like I said, keep us informed on your progress.

Also, how do you get pager services anyway? Are those damn things still sold?
Discipline

"The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability" - Henry Ford

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm

I've been using trac phone for years, with a 40$ initial for the phone, calls/text/camera it costs me about 20 bucks every 90 days to recharge, barely ever use it. but it's good service, support is rough unless you can understand a think Spanish accent (Miami).

I looked at a Samsung SGIII last year, but for two, with the costs, it came to an outlay of like 4K over the life of the plan.
not worth it to me.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

javin wrote:How is your OTA reception for TV? My wife mainly just use our Antenna and Netflix/AMZ Prime. However we do acquire a show or two but not near as often as I would have thought. Also, we use a VPN to watch HGTV shows from an out of country site.

Sounds like you are on the same path I am as well as a lot of the country. Like I said, keep us informed on your progress.

Not sure the quality of the OTA channels, as we havent played with them. My wife is a huge TV person with at least 2 shows a night being DVRed and another being watched. I get less than 5 hours of TV in a week and soon to be less so she owns the TV.

Just like migrating her off a VCR a few years back its taking some time. First introduction was a Roku and she is loving it. She is not liking Netflix or Amizon for stuff. VoD is crap here but even up in PDX she didnt like it much.

I think if I could get her HGTV it would be a big step as right now I cant find it anywhere. Figuring out a DVR solution would be the next big step

javin wrote:Also, how do you get pager services anyway? Are those damn things still sold?

My plant is single-highhandedly holding up the pager service here in Amarillo. Each employee gets an pager. I hate it. I have no clue how the provider is still keeping his network up and I honestly dont want to know.
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Wed May 01, 2013 5:42 am

I was at my sister-in-law's wedding in Hungary this past weekend. It was everything I hoped for and loads more

'
Previous

Return to Forum Lobby