General off-topic discussions.
paadams
Post Whore
Certs:
MCSA, VCP4, CCNA, CCNA Security

Re: consulting experience on the resume

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:35 am

I'm pretty sure we've already covered them.

Pros - Showing more exp in a particular area

Cons - Some companies frown on guys doing side work, or work under the table.

I would list it, but I would list as my own company, and that I contracted out to the other company. I don't think most companies will care, and in my experience it's not going to show up in most backgrounds checks. Those usually consist of criminal checks and maybe credit checks. HR may call companies to verify employment history though.

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 am

Well thank you paadams for your input. You are a man among men. :cheers:

michoudi
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA R&S/Security, IPS, FIREWALL, QoS

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 am

I wouldn't list it as employment history unless it was full time for an extended period of time. I would list the skills used while consulting though.

paadams
Post Whore
Certs:
MCSA, VCP4, CCNA, CCNA Security

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am

dmarcisco wrote:Well thank you paadams for your input. You are a man among men. :cheers:

No worries.

I'm about to apply for a couple adjunct positions at the local community college so I understand trying to show more experience in certain areas to help get your foot in the door. One of the positions posted is a VoIP instructor position and I have some experience but I'm far from an expert. Pretty sure I could learn the material and teach newbs though. :D

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 am

Michoudi Would you make another section in the resume? As stated previously by someone else in this thread a skills/achievements section.

@paadams Yea that'd be cool becoming an instructor well one that really teaches and not reads off of slides and moves on to the next topic.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 am

dmarcisco wrote:Well yea I know but I dont really have experience with placing side consulting experience on the resume and application. What are really the pros and cons of doing so?

if you don't have experience with side consulting, don't put it on your resume.

:twisted:
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am

ristau5741 wrote:
dmarcisco wrote:Well yea I know but I dont really have experience with placing side consulting experience on the resume and application. What are really the pros and cons of doing so?

@ristau Well that doesn't really make sense.. I think you misunderstood that post. I was just commenting on my inexperience of knowing the format or layout of adding that on the resume. It wasnt related to work experience.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 am

dmarcisco wrote:
ristau5741 wrote:

@ristau Well that doesn't really make sense.. I think you misunderstood that post. I was just commenting on my inexperience of knowing the format or layout of adding that on the resume. It wasnt related to work experience.

see there, that little twisted devil? I twisted your words... heh..heh..
I'm in a evil mood this afternoon, at least you got off light, check out my response in the OSPF thread :evil:
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 am

Seem a little stressed there buddy I think you need an asian massage with a happy ending. There should be a thumbs up emoticon..

revbob
Certs:
CCNA, CXFF, CCNA-Wireless

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:19 pm

dmarcisco wrote:Michoudi Would you make another section in the resume? As stated previously by someone else in this thread a skills/achievements section.

@paadams Yea that'd be cool becoming an instructor well one that really teaches and not reads off of slides and moves on to the next topic.

Like most people have said get the skills on the resume.

My current employer certainly frowns upon "side work" partly because if I'm doing side work I'm competition, but I'm looking into doing it anyway I need to supplement my income a bit.

My one question is what to charge.

dieselboy
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCNA Voice, SMB Select, Linux+

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 am

Depending on the job application you may have to fork off you resume / CV to be kind of a custom fit for the application anyway. Play each application on a case by case basis. Have a CV and trim the edges for the specific job app. It should only be two pages anyway. I had to leave off a decent amount for this job but that was the least relevant, if you get what I'm saying.

I like that saying. Fork off.

I'm just about to fork off this network diagram.
Laters.
Meanwhile, back in the city...

dmarcisco
Certs:
ccna, mcp xp, a+

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 am

Everyone keeps stating don't place the consulting experience on the resume but put the skills on the resume. Wouldn't the consulting experience validate the skills section which doesn't sound like it'll be effective anyway without allocating that to actual work performed.

'
Previous

Return to Forum Lobby